1 feature request (disable log console) and 1 game compatibility change request (Mario&Luigi Paper Jam)

I just started playing M&L Paper Jam on Citra, and here comes a feature request and a compatibility change request…

TL;DR: Feature request: I want the ability for the log console to be disabled to speed up the game.
Compatibility: There are some minor graphical glitches; the compatibility should be now GREAT instead of PERFECT.

Long explanation:
Feature request: When I enter a battle or get into some sort of story / cutscene, the emulator starts to spam log into the console, and the game slows down. I know that might indicate some errors that can be helpful for debugging, but for players, the biggest thing is to run the game smoothly, and logging can slow the game down. I suppose the game will run better when it’s not logging.
ps. I’m using citra-qt.exe. You might want to say things like “go run citra.exe”, but the fact is citra.exe won’t work.

Compatibility: I have experienced at least to graphical glitches: 1) when viewing item list or shop, a number 0 displays at the center of the bottom screen. Does not appear if the item list is empty. 2) when entering a battle, half of the bottom screen will flash. Therefore it should not be PERFECT…

1. You can “disable” the console yourself on the file “\user\config\qt-config.ini” (by setting “log_filter=:Info" to "log_filter=:Critical”).
  2. You can change the compatibility list yourself (by editing the list https://citra-emu.org/game/, you only need a GitHub account or create one if you don’t already have).

I don’t know what you mean by “You might want to say things like “go run citra.exe”, but the fact is citra.exe won’t work”. citra.exe can be used as a command line aplication to run the games (you can drag&drop games on it, or create .bat files to point to the game as “launchers”), it works, you just don’t know how to use it

that page doesn’t exist. Should I create a new page?? (github wiki)

What do you mean? Create an account and then go to https://services.citra-emu.org/game/ and allow it to sign in (“autorize citrabot” button).

You cannot edit games using the pr builder right now.

ps. I’m using citra-qt.exe. You might want to say things like “go run citra.exe”, but the fact is citra.exe won’t work.

no. citra.exe works but you have to start it from the commandline. You can also use it by dragging and dropping your game

Feature request: When I enter a battle or get into some sort of story / cutscene, the emulator starts to spam log into the console, and the game slows down. I know that might indicate some errors that can be helpful for debugging, but for players, the biggest thing is to run the game smoothly, and logging can slow the game down

this is something i’ve been working on, but theres a lot of work to do to get it merged. https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2707

lg_0, are there any other filters? what citra spams into the console ARE critical logs :frowning:

no. disabling logging entirely is a non goal. if something is critical it is something that needs to be logged. that said, one goal of my rewrite is to make logging much less taxing by running it on a separate thread, so even if it spams, it won’t impact performance

I’m no good coder so I can’t really go git and edit the code or something. As a player I just want things run smoothly… whether it’s a “non-goal” method or a proper method.

i wasn’t asking you to be a coder. I was stating the fact that I am the coder who is changing how logging works to make it not affect performance (among other things).

I get that users just want to play games at full speed and no bugs. We take users into account when developing features, but the long term health of the project comes first, and disabling logging is bad for citra in the long run. It’ll lead to users disabling logging for speed, even after I change citra so it doesn’t affect speed, and then they’ll complain about issues on the forums, and we can’t resolve the problem because they don’t have a log. To make it worse, as soon as we add the ability to disable logs, every unofficial build out there will use that option “bcuz we r so much fast3r then citra” which means users wouldn’t even know that logging is disabled. This just leads to headaches for no benefit other than a few fps. Its much MUCH better to fix performance by other methods, rather than trying to squeeze it out of every last spot right now.

Sorry to necro answer … But if I was searching something to hide that console window someone may want it too.
Install AutoHotKey and learn about it.
You can launch Citra with a script (you can also compile it into an .exe)
The line to hide Citra console are :

citra = %1%
game = %2%

Run %citra% %game%
WinWait, ahk_exe citra-qt.exe
WinHide ahk_exe citra-qt.exe

;---------------these lines are comments---------------
;Command-line accepts 2 arguments for this launcher
;The first %1% alias “citra”, will be the citra-qt.exe path
;The second %2% alias “game”, is the game path but you can let it blank
;If you don’t set the second parameter Citra will be launched but no game will be displayed in the main window list
To display your games in the Citra Main Window you need to edit your qt-config.ini and set you games directory path this way :
Exemple if my games are in this directory : C:\Users\YourName\Local\Citra\nightly-mingw\CitraGames
Paths\romsPath=C:\\Users\\YourName\\AppData\\Local\\Citra\\nightly-mingw\\CitraGames
Paths\gameListRootDir=C:\\Users\\YourName\\AppData\\Local\\Citra\\nightly-mingw\\CitraGames
Note : Double ‘\\’ are not errors, set your game directory path with them.

To use that script you can create a shortcut or use command line :

c:\pathToYourScriptOrCompiledExe\myscript.ahk “c:\pathToCitraQt\citra-qt.exe” “c:\pathToYourGameOrNothing\mygame.3ds”

The script will call citra, hide the console window and launch the gae if you set one.
This is what we want, not “less logs” we don’t want this console window… At all. :smiley:

Cross-posting this from GitHub: Soon, when the logging rewrite is tagged for Canary (and eventually merged to nightly), this will no longer be necessary, as Citra will have the ability to hide the log console built-in. Thank you for the script though.