'A fatal error occured' Cannot load MHXX on newer versions of Citra

I’ve had this problem for a long time now, I downloaded Citra to play MHXX and initially everything worked on Citra Canary without a problem. A few updates later, probably around version 1032-ish the game stopped working and produced the fatal error. I’ve backtracked ever since and I’ve been playing on Citra 972 which has been working for me. I’ve tried version 1823 recently and the same issue still occurs.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel I7-7700K
  • GPU: RTX 2070 Super
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1823
  • Game: MHXX English patch UPDATE 1.4 (ENGLISH PATCH V5)
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

citra_log.txt (16.0 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1823 HEAD-e78b730
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            451.67

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

It is because Citra got more accurate. You should redump the game and the v1.4.0 update separately. You should be able to utilize Citra’s layeredFS implementation to add the patch files afterwards.

Download the patch from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-monster-hunter-double-cross-english-ui-patch.465296/

You should be able to extract the 0004000000197100 folder from the patch into the \load\mods folder, provided you have installed the v1.4.0 update.

Most users that have this problem usually uses a broken pre-patched v4 English rom they got from the internet which unfortunately is piracy and is illegal. I hope you are not one of them :stuck_out_tongue: