All Amiibos get read as Mario | smash + mini Mario & Friends

Issue:
For testing of amiibo function, I tested with Mini Mario and friends as well as with Smash Bros. I first tired Mario-Amiibo. Sure enough, Smash read it and so did Mini Mario and friends. After that I tried Bowser jr. Amiibo, which got read as Mario again in both games… and every other one I tried after that - All of them get read as Mario.
[REMOVED BY MODERATOR] in description.

System Information

• Operating System: Win 10
  • CPU: i7 7700K
  • GPU: GTX 1070
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1086
  • Game: Mini Mario & Friends and Super Smash Bros 3DS
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    Irrelevant since it is not a render issue or smth that would be clearer on an image.

In this particular example I loaded Wii Fit Trainer. I enabled the debugging console and saw that it read Mario

[ 136.117632] Service.NFC core/hle/service/nfc/nfc.cpp:StopCommunication:91: (STUBBED) called
[ 136.509708] Service.LDR core/hle/service/ldr_ro/cro_helper.cpp:ApplyStaticAnonymousSymbolToCRS:553: CRO “mario” exports 0 static anonymous symbols
[ 136.512663] Service.LDR core/hle/service/ldr_ro/ldr_ro.cpp:LoadCRO:374: CRO “mario” loaded at 0x01035000, fixed_end=0x01045000

Here’s a complete log file
<citra_log.txt (271.6 KB)

1 Like

I found some issues in that log that need resolving:

• Citra is currently utilizing open-source system files which may cause emulation to be less accurate, but not affect system stability.

@moderators is Amiibo data copyrighted? Cuz OP seems to have for them off the internet.

I don’t know if they are copyrighted to be honest, but anyhow, I didn’t link to them directly. They are linked to in the youtube video.

It doesn’t really answer the question though.

By the way, I do have these physical amiibo, citra does have an option for amiibo, but how would one read real amiibo in?

• Citra is currently utilizing open-source system files which may cause emulation to be less accurate, but not affect system stability.

Yes, Amiibo .bin files are copywrite Nintendo property. Please don’t link to videos which link to Nintendo property.

Ok, thank you for clarifying, it won’t happen again.

I have now used an android app to dump my own Amiibo. I used Ness and Donkey Kong from SSB series and a Toad from the Super Mario series. I tried to load them in-game. They get read as Mario as well.

So is it really just me? It seems such a neat feature!

That’s a really weird issue.
@flTobi can you investigate?

I have further tested now nearly all my amiibo (32).

Detailed steps: dumped them (using tagmo android on a galaxy s8) with game data from super smash bros wii U on them.
dumped a couple of them with game data from mario party 10 on.

used the wii u settings menu to clear the game data, basically restore them to vanilla state.

every single on gets read as mario in these two games…

Now here’s some additional stuff I did. Looking at a dumped Amiibo’s Hex data.
Opening Mini Mario and Firends’ save path, there’s the progess file which contains save data. I looked at it just after starting the game. It is almost empty. Then I moved to my 3DS and put one real amiibo on (Bowser Jr… After transferring the save to the emulator, at offset 1470 it’s HEX values appeared. 04 AE 0D 2F A2 A1 40 exactly as the amiibo’s dump hex values begin.

Then I dumped my Yoshi amiibo, put the .bin file on the computer and loaded that into the emulated version of Mini Mario and Friends. It gets read as Mario. But here’s the interesting bit: after doing that, and saving, I looked at the save file. A new line appeared with the correct HEX values from the Yoshi Amiibo. 04 4A E1 27 6A BD 3C .

So, conclusion: it is in the save file, but CITRA does not “pull” the correct data that a specific amiibo calls for.

I’m not sure if I’m the only one experiencing this issue, but it is probably worth investigating for a developer?

Testing was done on Citra 1087 and 1088.

1 Like