AMD Vulkan error initialize video core

Hello, I have problems with Vulkan and AMD 6700xt. As soon as I try to start a game, the following message comes up: “An error occurred while initializing the video core”. I searched the forum and reddit, updating gpu drivers to latest, without success.
I also verified corruption in the OS with sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

Tested other games and emulators with Vulkan support and I have no problems with them.
I also had this problems with my previous gpu (AMD Vega56) from a specific yuzu build onwards, but I don’t remember the version.

The error in the logs shows:

[  22.106426] Render.Vulkan <Info> video_core\vulkan_common\vulkan_device.cpp:Device:327: Device doesn't support viewport swizzles
[  22.106450] Render.Vulkan <Info> video_core\vulkan_common\vulkan_device.cpp:Device:351: Device doesn't support uint8 indexes
[  22.414168] Render.Vulkan <Error> video_core\renderer_vulkan\renderer_vulkan.cpp:RendererVulkan:121: Vulkan initialization failed with error: VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN
[  22.427076] HW.GPU <Error> video_core\video_core.cpp:CreateGPU:50: Failed to initialize GPU: Vulkan initialization error VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN
[  22.432454] Core <Critical> core\core.cpp:Load:231: Failed to initialize system (Error 5)!

This is my log file: yuzu_log.txt (7.9 KB)

Specs:
Yuzu version: 674
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3 @ 2.60GHz
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6
GPU DRIVER: Adrenalin 21.6.2 Optional (latest as 2021/07/01)
RAM : 24GB DDR4 ECC 2133

Stupid question, did you reboot after installing the driver, or are you still on the same session (only powering off, instead of doing a full reboot)?

rebooted multiple times :frowning: I also tried to reinstall the drivers with DDU, testing the recommended (21.6.1) and after reinstalling the latest (21.6.2)

Then either AMD screwed up some extension in RDNA2 cards, or your system has another Vk related issue.
Do you have any screen recorder installed? Anything that may be used to capture Vulkan footage.

I’ve uninstalled MSI afterburner, Parsec, OBS, OpenAL. Same error even after shudown/reboot.
I don’t know if AMD screwed up some extension because I saw videos with people using 6700xt without issues. Honestly I don’t know what else to test.

Try it with the 21.2.2 beta driver. See if you are still getting the same error with this driver. Some users reported that it works again after installing this driver.

If it doesn’t work then try with the newer optional/beta drivers instead of normal adrenalin drivers

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/Non-WHQL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-21.2.2-Win10-64Bit-Feb11.exe

Tried installing the 21.2.2 but it’s not compatible with 6700xt.
So I installed the oldest non-whql one that I can find (21.3.2), rebooted and I have the same error.

Does it work with OpenGL? You will get probably crashes but can you run a game with that? Or do you get the same error with OpenGL like with vulkan?

This will install the latest AMD chipset driver and GPU driver.
This is an auto updater. You can try that, maybe it helps to resolve your problem
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Yes with OpenGL is working correctly.
OpenGL logs: yuzu_log.txt (18.5 KB)

For the driver, I already tried with automatic updater (tried again right now to be sure, installed 21.6.1 whql). With vulkan I have the same errors:

[  11.786389] Render.Vulkan <Info> video_core\vulkan_common\vulkan_device.cpp:Device:327: Device doesn't support viewport swizzles
[  11.786422] Render.Vulkan <Info> video_core\vulkan_common\vulkan_device.cpp:Device:351: Device doesn't support uint8 indexes
[  11.786425] Render.Vulkan <Info> video_core\vulkan_common\vulkan_device.cpp:Device:377: Device doesn't support custom border colors
[  12.014404] Render.Vulkan <Error> video_core\renderer_vulkan\renderer_vulkan.cpp:RendererVulkan:121: Vulkan initialization failed with error: VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN
[  12.028006] HW.GPU <Error> video_core\video_core.cpp:CreateGPU:50: Failed to initialize GPU: Vulkan initialization error VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN
[  12.034314] Core <Critical> core\core.cpp:Load:231: Failed to initialize system (Error 5)!

Then let’s see what else GoldenX86 can recommend you to do. I wanted to help you but now it is beyond my knowledge. I thought it was a driver related issue, but I don’t think it is, it must be something else. I would also like to know how to solve your problem.

I’ll try to reinstall windows10 from scratch this evening and see if it’s something related to OS.
I’ll keep you updated :wink:

1 Like

Ok I reinstalled Win10 (May 2021 Update). Installed only drivers for system, for gpu I used the Auto-updater with 21.6.1. Same error :frowning:

Tested also with Yuzu 675, same problem

GoldenX86 solutions are the best in almost every topic. Let’s see what he has to say when he’s here. Because of GoldenX86 posts with solutions, I learned a lot about yuzu

It’s hard to pinpoint without having an RDNA2. Normal prices would help, AMD :stuck_out_tongue:
This is the latest Windows 10 version ,right? 21H1.

Besides that, you shouldn’t have to use unsafe accuracy with that CPU, it has FMA.

I did other tests:

• I thought the riser (pcie3 16x riser) might interfere with the board, so I connected the GPU directly to the MB. same results :x:
  • Tried also with a RX480 8G, same driver 21.6.1. same errors :x: yuzu_log.txt (5.2 KB)

Other info that maybe can be useful: on GPU-z I see Bus Interface as PCI-Express, without Gen (3.0 or 4.0) and without number of lanes.

I have the same outcome with the GPU attached directly on the board. With the RX480 I can see PCIe3.0 16x without problems. I’ve also forces Gen3 for the PCIe slots in the BIOS.

There’s something going on with your motherboard.
What happens if you press the question mark besides the PCI-Express label and run that load test?

Yes, in fact there were some problems with the gpu (error code 43 when loading drivers). I’m doing a RMA with AMD right now. I’ll check again with latest build as soon as the replacement gpu arrives.

1 Like