Astral Chain VRAM usage

Hello,
testing Astral Chain now, and I see it eats full VRAM of my gpu like in 10min from start.
My GPU has 6GB, at start it uses from 2,5GB up to 3,5GB, but no matter what after few minutes of gameplay it reaches 6GB.
My GPU - Nvidia GTX 980Ti
I belive it is simillar issue as was with Monster Hunter Rise and was discussed in “Progress Report March 2022”.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by yuzu. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: Getting Log Files - yuzu

The game uses 4k ASTC textures, it will consume RAM like crazy.
Can you post me a log file after running the game for a couple of minutes?

yuzu_log.txt (214.5 KB)
at the end it jumped form 4,5GB to 6GB as the location was change

System Information for Support

Client Version                               yuzu 1003
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 2009
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor               | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.6.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           496.76
CPU Accuracy                                 Auto
GPU Accuracy                                 Extreme
Docked Mode                                  [ ]
CPU Multicore                                [x]
Async GPU                                    [ ]
Async Shaders                                [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Async GPU emulation is recommended as it can improve the performance of many games.
  • Your GPU accuracy level is set to extreme. If you are experiencing slow-downs, please lower this setting to high or normal.

As the bot mentioned you are using settings you probably shouldn’t. Enable Async Gpu emulation and set gpu accuracy to high or normal.

With Async GPU emulation - doesn’t change anything beside a little more shuttering with it.
About gpu accuracy - normal is unplayable in Astral Chain (like 15 fps).
High/Extreme same performance and VRAM usage so I keept Extreme to be sure every effect take palce.
With my setting game works like rock solid 30fps, but it just goes to fully with VRAM and then I get much more shuttering when loading new things/areas.

This is a game that will just need more than 4GB of VRAM for mid to long play time sessions.
See if running it at 0.75x resolution helps you.

Hello Everyone,

I noticed this post and decided to try to contribute as well. While testing Astral chain I’ve noticed 2 issues with my config:

• Shadows in “real world” will most often flicker on boxes and on MC’s shadow. Tried a lot of different settings but nothing helped.
  • Game crashes after a while (maybe 1-2 hours, usually when loading the next mission). Tested with borderless and exclusive modes, vsync on and off, etc

Since I saw this post I wanted to monitor my RAM and VRAM usage to see if it’s the same case for me. However, it seems this time I’ve managed to get the game freeze in ~10 minutes without any extensive play time or loading screens. The VRAM usage did reach over 5GB I believe. Adding my logs here in case this can help the team.
yuzu_log.txt (2.3 MB)

Edit: adding second crash log as it has the error listed at the end (first one did not). Please let me know if I need to report this separately as it seems to be a different error.

Client Version                               yuzu 1001
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 Vulkan 1.3.203
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
GPU Driver Version                           AMD proprietary driver 2.0.213
GPU Accuracy                                 High
Docked Mode                                  [x]
Async GPU                                    [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

Client Version                               yuzu 1001
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 Vulkan 1.3.203
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
GPU Driver Version                           AMD proprietary driver 2.0.213
GPU Accuracy                                 High
Docked Mode                                  [x]
Async GPU                                    [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

I don’t know if I’m right, but from my experience with Astral Chain:

• I had flickering problem on Vulkan API, so you may try OpenGL, but as you have AMD GPU, not sure if it is the way to go - still try.
  • crashes may be due to Vram and Ram usage - monitor it to be sure.

The shadow issues with RDNA2 cards is a known one.
The log ends with a device loss, that’s the GPU driver throwing the towel for some reason. May be shader related, as we decode the ASTC textures with compute shaders and maybe the game overwhelmed the GPU. Try disabling “Accelerate ASTC texture decoding”, if the game is stable with CPU decoding, we can start looking at the reason for the device loss.