Black screen/not responding when ROM is loaded

Issue:
Whenever I load my ROM, Citra crashes. There’s a black screen but sometimes the music will keep playing. I have tried changing the graphical settings as recommended in other posts here but no luck. I have tried the ROMs on my Mac so it shouldn’t be a problem with the ROMs. Windows and my GPU drivers are up to date.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1692
  • Game: Pokemon X
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (12.2 KB)

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1692 HEAD-e6c479f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor             
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            461.40
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Let’s rule out a problem in Appdata by setting up a portable Citra version:
Download citra-windows-mingw-20210211-e6c479f.7z (direct link) from https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1694
Extract it using Winrar or 7zip. Put the extracted folder anywhere you want. Inside the extracted nightly-mingw folder, create a folder called user. Now run citra-qt.exe from the nightly-mingw folder and run your game.
If it still crashes, upload another log file.

Using the portable Citra version works fine for me - is it possible to troubleshoot/fix the non-portable version or should I just stick with the portable version?

I’m assuming you haven’t created a save file yet on Citra’s installer version. In which case, start up the normal installer version of Citra and go to File>Open Citra Folder. Then close down Citra and delete every folder inside Citra’s folder (sdmc, log, config, ect.). Now restart Citra and see if it works. If it still doesn’t, then the Citra executable or file permissions in appdata are likely the problem.

Im having the same problem. I did what you asked but it still doesn’t work. What should i do?

Never mind, I see you opened up your own topic.

Yeah i did, could you give it a look? I really wanna play some pokemon

citra_log.txt (17.4 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1759   HEAD-3df43f9
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz | AVX
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GPU Driver Version                           10.18.10.4252
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. Support for Intel® Graphics

This driver is out of date. To update, download win64_15.33.53.5161.zip from Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]
Mirror download: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29969/a08/win64_15.33.53.5161.zip

Then follow this guide to install it: https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/

Furthermore, because your iGPU has driver bugs, you’ll need to use an older version of Citra in order to prevent random freezing and crashing from occurring until you upgrade your hardware:
Download citra-windows-mingw-20191214-ddb7ead.7z from Release nightly-1392: Merge pull request #5020 from jroweboy/dynamic-mf · citra-emu/citra-nightly · GitHub
Extract it using Winrar or 7zip. Put the extracted folder anywhere you want. Now run citra-qt.exe from the folder and run your game.