Black screening on start up

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
when I try and play a game, like pokemon alpha sapphire, it will black screen after i load it. It will still be running with max frames and everything. I’m confused. I’ve uninstalled the game twice and Citra itself twice. Reset everything I could and no dice.

System Information

• Operating System:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • Citra Version (found in title bar):
  • Game:
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

citra_log.txt (16.7 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1732 HEAD-5a7d801
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            496.13
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

How long do I have to wait? Just wondering is all

Sounds like maybe a driver issue. Lets try a portable build first though to rule out any issues from Citra’s end.

Go to Download Citra - Citra and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (.7z can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) (.tar.gz can be extracted natively on MacOS) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder.
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder. Now try running your game again.
If the same issue occurs, please upload another log file.

So far the game is running better. I actually got it to start just by reading and doing what you said and I was able to save so no problems there. I am a little skeptical on it’s playability though due to stuttering and frame drops but it’s atleast running so that’s something. Thank you!