Buying a new laptop

What should look for when buying a new laptop to make Citra run well?

First thing: Please don’t buy a computer (laptop) just for Citra alone.

Second thing: You most probably would get almost double of the performance on a desktop than you gain on a laptop. (If you’re buying a laptop for portability, ignore this.)

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: I’m not just buying a new laptop for Citra though. I wanted to buy a new one anyway but I still want to be able to play games on Citra as well, with better performance.

you’re better off getting a desktop, laptop cpus tend to be weaker than their desktop counterpart and generally don’t boost to a high frequency in single core (which is what citra prefers) due to their limited size and thermals.

Ok, but I need a laptop for its portability. What does that laptop need for Citra to run as best as possible? (Even though it will still be less than on a desktop)

I don’t know if I’m right, but I believe you need a good processor and a good amount of RAM.

@Nielsojo The HQ series of CPUs in laptops have high single core performance.

@TheEzeJC You need a good CPU as in single core performance, and Citra doesn’t eat up much RAM at all. 4 GB would be even fine. (Maybe 2? Never tried.)

So this would be a good one? Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ

Decent, but if you can’t get a i7-7700HQ, then this would be the best option.

For comparison (single core performance value): i5-7300HQ - 1871, i7-7700HQ - 2029. My i3-6100 gets 2125 and performs a lot of games at full speed.

Thanks a lot for your help!