Can I use one rom to run 2 different save games?

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.

Hello everyone, I want to make a new game on canary ultra sun to get myself some regional pokemon to attempt masuda method breeding. I don’t want to lose my nightly ultra sun save game too

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Hello,

You can use the same ROM with different save games. However, you need to either swap the save game in / out of your %appdata%\Citra folder, or manually download the latest Canary build from Github, and create a user folder in the new installation directory, so that the save game is stored in that user folder, instead of overwriting your older save.

I currently have nightly and canary, I’ve no idea how to seperate the instances

If you installed those via the installer, you can’t.

Download the latest Canary .7z build from here: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases

Extract that folder wherever you want your 2nd installation of Citra to be. Then create an empty user folder in that new installation directory. As long as you run the citra-qt.exe from that new installation, it will store all of its data in the user folder you created.

Now you can play 2 save games simultaneously, and use the same ROM.

thank you so much for your help i really appreciate your help, im going to set a different region and a different language to trade over smeargle and ditto for breeding

No problem! Have fun.