Can this lighting feature be disabled?

Issue:
I’ve noticed a few recurring lighting issues in a few games. For me, it appears most often in gen 7 Pokémon games and Zelda Majora’s Mask 3D. The most seems to show up whenever the game tries to create a glow effect around an object. But if you upscale the game’s resolution, the glow appears more like a larger, transparent copy of the target object.

It would be nice if this feature could exist in high resolution, but whenever I’ve seen people bring up this issue before, no solution was given. So in the mean time, instead of finding a way to make the feature work, can it be disabled entirely? My thought is that if outlines in Pokémon games can be disabled by a cheat code, can the same thing be done for this lighting?

For reference here’s an imgur album of all the major examples I’ve found of this bug. Some were taken on an older version, but some were from my most recent test. Anything in native 3DS resolution was from the latest version of Citra.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1694
  • Game: gen 7 Pokémon, Zelda Majora’s Mask 3D
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): See imgur album.

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (1.2 MB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1694 HEAD-e6c479f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            460.89
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

These ‘‘ghosting’’ effects are also visible on the 3DS, Citra’s upscaling simply makes them stand out more (as does the larger screen). The pokemon side of things has been looked into in the past, but from what I can remember, removing the ghosting effects outright breaks more things than it’s worth. I don’t know about Mjora’s Mask, but I’d wager it’s a similar story.