Can't play any 3DS pokemon game on my citra (canary) build

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
I cannot play literally any 3DS pokemon game on my citra canary build. Once I get in a certain area (for example, like inside a pokemon center) it runs really smooth, 100%, 30FPS, all the good stuff. When I exit buildings or enter, when my pokemon does a move, when I enter battles, or anything, the FPS goes down to 0FPS for like 10 seconds, and then it slowly works its way up to 30FPS, and then I can play again.
It just seems to freeze every time I try doing something, then it just comes back.

System Information

• Operating System: MacOS Catalina (10.15.4)
  • CPU: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Canary 1830
  • Game: Pokemon X/Y, Pokemon OR/AS, Pokemon Sun/Moon
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (1.0 MB)

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1830 HEAD-55b529b
Operating System                              macOS 10.15
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7360U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Enabling Accurate Multiplication did not help

Try these two builds and check if one of them works:

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1588
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1587

It’s a little better, but still lags a lot.
Like, 5-10 seconds of like 5-10fps

This sounds similar to this issue:

You could try redump the game if that is the case, make sure you have 4GB free space on your Nintendo 3DS’s SD card. Follow these guides to dump properly:

Uh, so if I dont use an SD card and I use .3ds files… how can I dump games?

Your Nintendo 3DS comes with one, you might need to upgrade the capacity though since some games can reach near 4GB. The first 3DS models only had 2GB SD cards, XL and later got an upgrade to 4GB.

Make sure you have read and understood the rules, especially the first one:

Yea, of course.

I’ve seen the thread you linked me to, about the one who resolved the problem. After watching their video, I really don’t know if it is the same problem or not, since their pauses and “freezes” are much longer than what I experience.

Could it perhaps be the fact that my computer is just not strong enough? Or Citra is not optimised for Mac?

Here is the link to a video, that might help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YS_OSltqUiR2TkctM_8hBFzjxhQkLbiU/view?usp=sharing

idk if you can see the fps, but I average out 15fps, and like 60% speed.
Is this normal?

You could try bootcamp Windows 10 I suppose, not sure if Intel’s drivers would be able to install but they are more optimized. Apple deprecated OpenGL and now even x86 architecture (Apple is moving from Intel to their own “Apple Silicon” (ARM) for their next generation Macs).

Other than that I don’t really know.

So, do you think my Mac and it’s OS and OpenGL whatever is the problem, not the game itself or Citra? I will try bootcamp Windows, and see if it is better.

Thanks

To my knowledge, Macs have always struggled with games :stuck_out_tongue: if gaming is your priority you don’t buy a Mac.

If you setup bootcamp I can try help you update the drivers and that should hopefully give you a speed boost.

Haha yea, I realised Macs weren’t great with games xD But I thought a mac could emulate the hardware of like a 200$ console, guess not :stuck_out_tongue:

I just need to delete some things, bootcamp takes more storage than I expected it to take xD