Can't see Empyrea's shadow

Hi,

I’m playing Dragon Quest VIII, and I can’t get past the part where i’m supposed to follow Empyrea’s shadow. From what I can gather from others, it might have something to do with the shadow rendering. I seem to be having the problem both on Windows 10 and Android.

On Windows, I’m using Citra Nightly 1703; I’m using Intel HD Graphics 4000, i5-3230M
On Android, I’m using the latest, January 2021 build with Android 10.

Please let me know if there’s any workaround or if I’m missing something. Thanks.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

citra_log.txt (122.2 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1703 HEAD-9ff9727
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz | AVX
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.5129
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. Downloads for Graphics

Render.OpenGL <Warning> video_core/renderer_opengl/gl_rasterizer.cpp:RasterizerOpenGL:60: Shadow might not be able to render because of unsupported OpenGL extensions.

Yeah, your iGPU doesn’t support shadows on Citra. And since you are on a laptop you cannot simply add a graphics card (this is one of the downsides with a laptop, can only like upgrade RAM & storage and nothing else).

You should transfer the save back to your 3DS and do it there, then dump the save and copy it over to Citra again.

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately that is not a viable option. What about android? same deal?

Ah ok, I guess you only asked someone to dump your purchased copy of DQ8 for you with their 3DS but you don’t have your own. Fair enough.

You could try it and see if it works there.

I can remember this issue was a thing on PCSX2 over a decade ago and some people simply guessed where it was.

Is this the type of thing that Citra may support down the line, or the only way is to find a computer with a better graphics card?

Unless there is a better fallback to render shadows on your iGPU then no. As it says in the log, the OpenGL extension it is using to do it is not supported on Intel HD 4000 at all. So for now you will need a new computer.

Sorry for the inconvenience