Cave Story 3D - Blurry Text at resolutions higher than native

Issue:
Cave Story 3D has a “Perfect” compatibility rating in Citra–and at the 3DS’s native resolution, it is indeed perfect.

The problem is that at anything above native resolution, the text becomes very blurry and quite difficult to read! At 2x, for example:

The text looks basically identical at 6x—it doesn’t get worse as the resolution increases:

Notably, the text isn’t merely pixelated—I expect textures designed for the 3DS to be pixelated, and I would love to see this font rendered in clear, sharp pixels! Notice how the text is actually much clearer at 1x—assuming this is a raster font, shouldn’t it look exactly the same at higher resolutions? It almost looks like there’s some kind of bloom effect.

I’m aware that playing games above native resolution will always come with some quirks, but is there anything at all that can be done about this? Cave Story is quite text heavy, and the rest of the game looks beautiful! The xBRZ freescale texture filter does help somewhat with readability, but it’s not really what I want–at integer multiples of the native resolution, shouldn’t Citra be able to use integer scaling on these textures?

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
  • GPU: nVidia GTX 1080 Ti
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1746
  • Game: Cave Story 3D

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (28.2 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1746 HEAD-45a4a56
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            425.31
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from NVIDIA’s website. Download Drivers | NVIDIA

Thanks, helpful bot! :slight_smile: I’m using older drivers for compatibility with nVidia 3D Vision. I really don’t think that’s the problem, as I have the same issue on my Mac, and I can even find the problem in Citra gameplay videos on Youtube: Cave Story 3D de Nintendo 3DS con el emulador Citra. Gameplay - YouTube

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1746 HEAD-45a4a56
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            425.31
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from NVIDIA’s website. Download Drivers | NVIDIA

I decided to post this on Github instead, since I do think it’s fundamentally a bug in Citra. Cave Story 3D - Blurry Text at resolutions higher than native. · Issue #5926 · citra-emu/citra · GitHub. This thread can be deleted. :slight_smile:

Might as well leave it open for anyone having the same issue. That way they’re lead to the same place in the end.

1 Like

@Wowfunhappy totally off topic, but I have been struggling getting 3dvision to work. Is there a way to PM about it?