Citra can't load my game: frontend warning unable to start check for updates

Issue:
This is my first time downloading Citra, and then I encounter this issue, help!!
(Note: I have the C++ 2015 installed in my laptop, and this laptop is x64)

I downloaded Citra latest version from Manual Download page, and then I installed it NOT IN the :C drive (maybe I should have installed it in the Program Files or something. But now I have deleted the previous installation and install it again in the Program Files (x86) and the problem is still there!!)

1. When I launch the citra-qt.exe, the app opens normally. But in the cmd tab there’s this warning:

[0.000000] Frontend (Warning) citra_qt/main.cpp:CheckForUpdates:413: Unable to start check for updates

For your information, I have read the article about this “Copying the log data by shift + right click and choose open command window here” but it doesn’t work either i dont know why. After I paste the code, it says “access is denied”

Program Files (x86)\nightly-mingw>citra-qt 2>log.txt
Access is denied.

2. After I loaded my game (it’s already decrypted and it’s in .3ds format) “Harvest Moon: Story of Seasons Trio of Towns”, Citra crashed!
It says “the program has stopped working”, the usual windows thing.
And because I cannot use the copying log data thing, I just can give you the screenshot. (in below)

Until now, I can’t find a way to fix this. I’ve tried to run citra-qt.exe wih “run as administrator” but it doesn’t change anything. I can’t download from citra’s setup.exe (automatic updater or installer i think?) because my internet is so slow.

I hope I can get the solution from you guys

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 (x64)
  • CPU: Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) | RAM 4GB
  • GPU: nvidia GeForce GT 635M 2GB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly | HEAD-aecd2b8
  • Game: Harvest Moon: Story of Seasons Trio of Towns (USA) Decrypted
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

------(when it crashes)

Log: I can’t because it says “access is denied”

I really need help. Please help.

------(a second before it crashes)

Feel free to ask me to give you additional informations or more screenshots if it helps you finding the way to fix this issue

1 - The warning appears because you’re using Citra Nightly, which doesn’t have automatic program updates. If you want that, get Citra Canary.

2 - The log states shader not linked, which means that some functions in the GPU driver don’t work. Try updating your video drivers, and if that doesn’t help, try disabling Shader JIT in Emulation - Configure - Graphics.

You’re using a build downloaded manually from the website. If you use the installer from the website, you won’t get this message as it can detect and download new builds. This is not an issue.

To get the log you have to navigate to the citra directory, open Command Prompt and enter citra-qt 2>log.txt (./citra-qt 2>log.txt if you’re using PowerShell). The log will be in the citra directory.

Shader JIT / Interpreter is actually how the vertex shader is handled, which will not be translated to GLSL (OpenGL shaders) - it is always ran on the CPU.

Only the register combiner / pixel shader is handled with GLSL, and there is no alternative, except for running the software renderer.

1 Like