Citra closes after loading ROM - Tomodachi Life

Issue: Opening Citra works fine, loading the file for Tomodachi Life causes it to crash and instantly close. It shows a loading cursor then it closes itself and nothing happens. I’ve tried to change my configurations such as; Region to EUR, audio device, made sure that hardware shader is enabled and system window is set to Native Resolution.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • CPU: Intel® Core i5-2520M
  • GPU: Intel Graphics HD Family
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1390
  • Game: Tomodachi Life

Screenshot:

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (13.7 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1390 HEAD-4efb9c6
OpenGL Vendor                                 Microsoft Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GDI Generic
OpenGL Version                                1.1.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 2

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running default Windows drivers for your GPU. You need to install the proper drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer’s website.

Error on my part, the GPU is Intel® HD Graphics 3000

And using device manager, I tried to update and this is currently the most up-to-date driver.

i5-2520M’s iGPU doesn’t support OpenGL 3.3 with native drivers on Windows. You could give this a try: Force OpenGL3.3 on Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Windows) but don’t expect much from a laptop CPU from 2011.

You will most likely need to buy a new computer.

I thought as much it’d be down to the date of this laptop!

I will be getting a newer PC soon enough and a genuine Gaming PC and not a laptop so maybe the emulator would work then? - The system requirements may have to be filled in on the day I set it up so would it be alright to come back to this post with the newer system info at that time?

Since Citra uses OpenGL you will definitely want an Nvidia GPU for best results. If you are going more budget oriented then the new GTX 1650 Super is comparable to a RX 580 for about $160(Amazon pricing).

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1650-OC/dp/B081Q6KKDS/
Here is a cost/frame graph by Hardware Unboxed:

Radeon struggles with OpenGL on Windows but if you have no problem going with Linux then they are an option.

1 Like