Citra closes after opening "Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies"

Issue:
Citra closes after opening “Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies”. The game will only run for half a second, then citra closes right after.

System Information

• Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 960
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1724
  • Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (5.2 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

The log file is incomplete. Make sure you follow the steps carefully:

1. Open Citra, then go to File>Open Citra Folder (Citra>Open Citra Folder if on MacOS) and open up the log folder. Now keep that open in the background.
  2. Launch your game and encounter the problem; crash/slowdown/glitch and close Citra if it doesn’t do so by itself. Do not restart Citra as that will wipe the log of important information!
  3. Now upload the log file in this chat.

citra_log.txt (11.7 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1724 -128-NOTFOUND--128-NOTFOUND
Operating System                              Ubuntu Core 20
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 4.3
Graphics Renderer                             NV126
GPU Driver Version                            Mesa 21.0.3
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I have an Nvidia graphics card GTX960, and by default Ubuntu (Debian too), uses the open-source driver Nouveau. I’ve discovered by personal experience with a laptop I have, that the Nouveau driver isn’t compatible at all with Nvidia cards. So when I opened the game in Citra, it obviously needs to use the Nvidia card, but Nouveau can’t communicate correctly with the card.

How to solve it?

Software & Updates > Additional drivers > Select here “Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-470 (proprietary, tested)”

Then reboot. Maybe the reboot part here isn’t necessary, but just to make sure do it.

This solved my problem in my scenario, and now the game works fine.

Interesting. I was wondering about the driver myself, but as I haven’t got much experience with this, I was unsure about what to suggest.

Glad you managed to solve this though, I’ll write down your findings for if another user runs into this :+1:

1 Like