Everytime I try to open Pokemon X Citra just closes. Yesterday was fine but today is impossible. Even tried to delete the shaders as Ive seen some sugesting but did nothing and reinstalling too. It was my first time using citra so I dont really know if I did something i shouldnt have.
Operating System: Windows 10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 6 Cores
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1868
Game: Pokemon X
Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): -
Hey so this morning I tried to play pokemon x on the 1867 nightly build and it worked fine. As soon as 1868 released a few hours later and I installed it, it stopped working. I checked this thread and saw that 1866 might work so I tried that. It didn’t work. I then though if 1867 worked for me before I’d just try that again, and it didn’t… Would a canary build work better or is there something I’m missing here?
I tried 1865 and 1864 as well to no avail, also tried canary and had no luck. What could possibly be going wrong if 1867 worked before and according to this thread, 1866 is supposed to work but doesn’t for me???
citra_log.txt (25.5 KB)
It crashes nearly immediately after trying to launch the game. On rare occasions it will freeze on the startup screen (“loading pokemon x”) and windows will tell me it stopped responding. Either way I can’t seem to find a solution by myself so thank you for helping.
It’s exactly the same case with me, I tried the same versions and none of them worked, the program just closed without any warning, and this is only happening with my Fire Emblem. I don’t know if it was a problem I caused, but here is my log file with 1866 in case you need it.
This worked. I’m playing through the intro of the game very cautiously now lol. I will message back here if something gamebreaking occurs… so far only major framedrops throughout the intro cutscenes which is definitely manageable, I’ll take what I can get. If you could, could you please help me understand how and why deleting that folder made this work? As that is not something I would’ve figured to do in a million years myself. Thank you very much for your help.
Citra generates shaders as it runs a game, which it then saves to your storage so that the next time Citra encounters that same shader in the game, it won’t need to generate it again. Rather, it can just use the shader it generated previously and saved to your storage. This reduces what emulators call “shader stutter” when you encounter new effects over time.
However, sometimes those shaders can become corrupted, either through driver/system updates, storage failures, bit-flips, or, in like in this case, a bad change to the shader cache code. It happened in one of the newer Citra versions most likely (which have a couple of issues currently), and when you used older Citra versions, you were still using the same shader cache as with the newer builds. So loading those faulty shaders made you crash immediately.