Citra crashes when I launch the english patched Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D

Context:
I loved DQM when I was a kid and only recently heard about the japanese remaster and english patch. (There’s more to this but it seems kind of irrelevant)
I’ve not used citra before but I can usually find my way around these things. I’ve scoured the internet (and any relevant posts I could find here) trying to get it working but I’m kind of at a loss and would really appreciate any help that could be offered…

Issue:
Citra crashes as soon as I load the game (only the english patched version, the japanese version doesn’t have this issue). I’ve seen others have had this problem and seem to have worked past it but I’ve not been able to (some have used old citra builds whose links I can’t find so that could be it).

I’ve made sure to have the system archives and shared fonts in the right place and I verified it from another source so I don’t think that’s the issue.

I tried patching the japanese version myself but also hit a dead end there in the last step so it could be the patched version I found… I did try a few versions and they produced the same results though, including both a .3ds and a .cxi just in case.

There seem to have been a few new versions of citra nightly today - I’ve tried with at least 1592, 1593, 1594 (I know the screenshot is out of date but it was literally from less than an hour ago)
I also tried updating my drivers as well as various .net/directx/etc suggestions I saw.

I’ve also tried enabling accurate multiplication, still to no avail.

Things are kind of shit at the moment and I could really use a nice distraction. If anyone at all can shed some light on this, I’d be incredibly grateful.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1594
  • Game: Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry’s Wonderland 3D (English patch)
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): It crashes immediately after this screen pops up:

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (8.1 KB)

Latest log from citra v1594 just in case, although I don’t think it’s any different:
citra_log.txt (8.1 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1594 HEAD-d88d220
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor            
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            451.67
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1593 HEAD-f6ced5d
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor            
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            451.67
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Does it work on your Nintendo 3DS? If not, you will need to make sure it does before dumping it.

Since rom hacks, fan translations etc. are unofficial, we (part of the Citra team) cannot give any support. There might be savvy users that are willing to provide that however.

A different user had a similar problem but with a different game and they only tried to rebuild the game immediately after extracting. So I think the software you are using is doing something incorrectly which is why it doesn’t work.

I don’t own a 3DS sadly (the last gameboy I have is a DS) and I’ve not tried to emulate any games before I heard about this remaster. I’d happily buy one if it assured being able to play this game but I don’t want to waste a bunch money if there’s a chance it doesn’t even end up working, especially considering it wasn’t even released outside Japan.
I’m very careful with my belongings and still have my GBC, GB SP, GBA and 2 DS (one belonged to my mother) but lost my 3DS sometime ago and never bothered replacing it as I’d somewhat lost interest by then.
I bought the original DQM a total of 3 times over the years as I originally found it on holiday and, after my bag was stolen, I couldn’t find it again anywhere (I’m in the UK) - I literally looked for years but had bad experiences whenever I tried to ‘throw money at the problem’ so I’ve always been hesitant to jump to that again.

I understand it isn’t an official product but I still wanted to try as it’s so frustrating to know it CAN be done due to the various videos of people successfully playing the english patch on citra. I rarely ask on forums and tend to just research it but I really have hit a brick wall here.

As for the unedited version… the orig japanese version seems to work fine. However, I couldn’t successfully patch that version into english myself (random error both when patching the exheader and rebuilding the rom) so I haven’t been able to test any english versions other than whatever pre-patched versions I could find online.

This is a bit ambiguous, but I will be clear: You don’t have to own a Nintendo 3DS since you can ask a friend who has one to dump the game for you however you must own the game otherwise it is piracy which is illegal.

For the patch itself, you are probably better off consulting the gbatemp thread to get it working on a Nintendo 3DS first so you can get the hang of the process: https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-3d.431204/

Good to know, I’m more than happy to buy a japanese copy as it’s a game I love but I don’t want to do that until I’m sure I can actually get it working. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who has a 3ds either, that probably would simplify things a bit.

For the patch itself, you are probably better off consulting the gbatemp thread to get it working on a Nintendo 3DS first so you can get the hang of the process: https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-3d.431204/

That was the thread that I followed when I attempted to patch it myself but I’m still not sure that’s the issue (The english pre-patched versions I found presumably work for other people, so they should work for me).
Of course it’s always good to rule more things out but I’m just not sure how to get it working… most parts of the patch seemed to work fine but the header and rebuilding the .cia encountered non descript errors that I found difficult to troubleshoot.

Are there any clues in the log? (The logs are for the pre-patched versions)
“00000000.app is tainted, application behavior may not be as expected!” Is this just a standard warning?
"ncch_container.cpp:OpenFile:130: Failed to open C:…“00000000.app” This seems to be the crash, is there any indication there on a cause? I’m not familiar with citra.

Here’s a solution that worked for me:

Follow this guide from this GBAtemp: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-cia-cxi-files.383055/

When you get to the step where it says “Editing,” go to the folder ExtractedRomFS\data\Model, then look for a file called “DepthOfField.bcmdl”. Delete that file, then follow the rest of the guide. The game should work fine.

Note: Use V9 of HackingTool9ds since the .cia of the fan translation is decrypted. Input the name of the .cia file (without extension) for both prompts when rebuilding after deleting the DepthOfField.bcmdl file