Citra crashes when loading Tomodachi Life ROM

Issue:
Today when I loaded Tomodachi Life it froze while loading. I restarted my computer and tried to load the ROM again only to find out that starting Tomodachi Life now crashes Citra after a few seconds of trying to load, and without any kind of message like “Fatal error”. Other games work completely fine. I have different regional versions of Tomodachi Life that run smoothly so the problem is only on the American version. I can’t really provide a screenshot of the issue. I updated Citra recently so I’m wondering if that may have somehow messed things up.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 930MX
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1750
  • Game: Tomodachi Life(USA version)

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (16.4 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1750   HEAD-2fc7def
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 Unknown (?)
Graphics Renderer                            ?
GPU Driver Version                           ?
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

This might be because of your nand dump. Those files are region restricted as well. So they might not like being paired up with the USA version specifically. You can test this out by going to File>Open Citra Folder, then renaming the nand folder here to nand edit. Now try your game again (yes, Miis won’t have faces). If it runs, then the theory was correct. If it doesn’t, its most likely just a bad ROM dump. You can restore the original nand folder’s name back to nand when you’re done testing.

1 Like

Client Version                               Nightly 1750   HEAD-2fc7def
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz | AVX2 | FMA

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have mods installed. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

Did that but the game still crashes. I deleted nand/data/00000000000000000000000000000000/sysdata/00010017/00000000/config because that worked for me when a similar issue occurred in another game, but that didn’t fix anything either. Citra is up to date and I disabled mods like Citrabot said to in a new reply but nothing’s working. Here’s another log, if that’ll help.

citra_log.txt (12.1 KB)

Is there anything I can really do now? I redumped files because of the no-face thing(lol) but do I have no choice but to use a new ROM?

Client Version                               Nightly 1752   HEAD-bae1c31

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have mods installed. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

This is usually only relevant if you’re getting a fatal error with system configuration block errors in your log file.

Try out a portable build to rule out any other issues with your current Citra installation and user folders:

Go to Download Citra - Citra and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (.7z can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder.
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder and run your game.
Make sure to not insert your dumped nand files (for the faces and the like) when testing.

1 Like

The game runs smoothly with citra-qt.exe without crashing. So the problem is with my Citra install, but what do I do now?