Citra crashes when trying to open game on Mac

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1830 HEAD-55b529b
Operating System                              macOS 10.15
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             AMD Radeon Pro 5500M OpenGL Engine
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Citra in Mac is little less optimized and can be too buggy…

Try turn off Hardware Shader.

I turned the Hardware Shader off and opened the game again, but the game still quits as before. The error log is the following:
citra_log.txt (27.2 KB)

I then tried to off Hardware Renderer completely, this time the game is able to run, but at a super slow, unplayable speed. So it seems that there is some graphics rendering problem on my mac. Is there still hope/solutions to solve the issue?

Client Version                                Canary 1832 HEAD-f3f2ea7
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz
Graphics Renderer                             AMD Radeon Pro 5500M OpenGL Engine
Hardware Shader                               [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]

Try this older build: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392

If it works then we will need to bisect the issue so it can get fixed.

2 Likes

It’s working like a charm! I opened this version (nightly 1392) and didn’t change any config, and the game is able to load and play perfectly:) Thanks for saving the game and my mac!

I will need your help to bisect this since I don’t have a Mac.

We should try find exactly two adjacent builds where one is working and the other is not.

Next try this build: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1549

This one loads the game, but the screen is completely gray with no graphics showing up. Only the sound appears.

Oh ok, the gray screen problem should be fixed by resizing the window or toggle fullscreen. Interesting… and 1392 didn’t have this gray screen problem? It would be great if we could pin point where this issue started as well :stuck_out_tongue:

But first we should find where the crashes started.

Next build to test is: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1575

I tried resizing the window in 1549, and the graphics are loading up successfully now. 1392 doesn’t have this issue and I was able to play at different sizes, so the gray issue started at 1549.

I tried 1575 and it performs the same as 1549 - plays fine at a fixed window size, screen turns gray once I change the size.

I tried a few builds and found that 1587 loads fine (just like 1575), but 1588 crashes instantly once I open the game. So I guess the issue started in 1588. Here is the error log:
citra_log.txt (11.0 KB)

Client Version                                Nightly 1588 HEAD-f4e727c
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]

Oh thanks for testing. I will double check with another user if 1587 works while 1588 doesn’t.

For the gray screen problem, did you also test 1548 to claim that 1549 is what started it?

Update on the gray screen problem: I double checked again and found that on my computer it starts on 1411 (so 1410 loads up fine but 1411 comes up gray).

1 Like

Ok, just to double check, this is Nightly 1411 & 1410 right? Thanks for finding where it started on your Mac.

Yes, Nightly 1411 and 1410. Hope this will be useful for other people!

1 Like

I am developer with M2. Who maintains 3ds core? English not my first language so sorry if it is bad.

We are finished with line of Sega Ages games for Nintendo. My personal hobby is to maintain and preserve games on my hard drive.

However, most of Sega Ages games for 3DS do not work with Citra emulator.

I want Thunderblade and Fantasy Zone 2 to work. However they crash after intro menu is loaded when play is pushed.

Please let me know who I speak to about this. Thanks you

Hello,

Our forum is only for user support. If you intend to contribute to Citra, feel free to join our Discord and submit PRs to our Github.

I have donated over 1000 American dollars over the last few years. I was hoping only for game I developed to be playalbe on your emulator for preservation purposes.