Citra freezes at startup in any game

Issue:
All emulation freezes at startup. No matter the input, it doesn’t respond. It used to work previously (It had some crashes, but it was playable), but one day it stopped working. The only way to close the app is to terminate it through the task manager. One thing to note is that it appears to work but for a very short period of time, and then it stops. It even notes that the speed of the emulation is 0%, there are 0 FPS, and Frames states “nam ms”.
Extra info
I have two monitors, and i used to play both Pokemon games with my brother, i used the Canary version and he used the Nightly, both of the monitors use two different GPU.
When looking up for solutions, i found that setting some CPU affinity for each emulator could work, but it didn’t.
Every time i open the emulator, the maintanancetool.exe asks for permission to change my device.

System Information

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (29.4 KB)

System Information for Support

OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.4885
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
Enable Vsync                                  null
System Region                                 [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

I’m having the exact same problem, even about the task manager and no matter which build I use, it’s still giving the same problem.

I know this is an old post but for anyone having this problem, it is likely due to corrupted data in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Citra. I don’t know much about the technical part but figured i’d lead people in the right direction that are also having this problem

I also have the same problem as mentioned above. What exactly should I do in the in the directory you mentioned to fix the problem?

I actually recently figured out that it was a mix of corrupted data in the user file and outdated graphics drivers. I recommend backing up your files in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Citra and starting fresh to see if anything changes. If not, see if your graphics drivers need to be updated. Hope this helps :smile:

1 Like

I updated my graphics drivers, and it did the trick. Thanks for the great advice and for replying so soon to a 17 day old thread.

No problem! Glad I could help!

Hmmm, i am 2 years late, i am experiencing kinda the same issue that when i launch Pokemon ultra sun on citra the game immediately freezes leading to end task thru task manager.
It used to work earlier but i had to perform a system restore bcos of a reason but the restore point was created when ultra sun worked so i cannot get what is the deal?
I could not understand what you actually suggested to do? If you dont mind please write the steps i need to do to fix my problem

Can you explain in steps what you exactly did to solve this issue, im facing the problem too.