Citra freezes when opening any game

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
My Citra is unable to load any game that I have tried in windowed mode and freezes the Citra screen and only loads the sound. I am able to run the games in fullscreen although it is slower than usual for some reason. I have tried every possible thing that has been suggested like updating my drivers, making sure I can run OpenGL 3.3, making sure my resolution scaling is good, enabling and disabling every graphics option, rolling back my drivers, and reinstalling Citra (every version of Citra I could find). I was able to run Citra perfectly around 5 months ago and when I came back this problem occurred. All of my friends that have tried to help me with this are able to run the same game (same files even) perfectly so I don’t think that the 3ds file is broken. I’m not an expert on these things and I would like to have this fixed if possible. I might also be really stupid and missed something necessary although It’s been able to run before.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
  • GPU: Radeon ™ RX 480 Graphics
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1007
  • Game: All
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (18.3 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Try running with a default configuration, close citra, move the qt-config file on ‘C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Citra\config’ to another folder. open citra and test it.

also try running citra as admin.

Alright, I’ll make sure to try that.

I just tried this and the exact same thing happens as before.

By same files you mean, you tried your files and rom on another pc (for testing purposes i’m implying) and it worked, the exact same files?

Yes, that is what I am saying.

There have also been other applications that fail to load graphics in the same way. The applications that are doing this are Game Maker Studio and Starbound. I couldn’t find any way to fix those either and i thought there might be some correlation.

Quite possibly, the best you can do is to make sure that your drivers were installed properly, and also check AMD forums for help.

I’ve already tried reinstalling all of my drivers and even downgrading drivers. I will see if I can get some help there though; thanks for the advice.

I don’t think my graphics diver is the problem because I’ve tried cpu rendering and I have the same problem.

Citra still uses OpenGL to render its window. either way wait for a moderator to inspect your issue further, there may be other areas to investigate.

According to the opengl check, the version of opengl citra uses is compatible with my graphics card. I’ve also been able to run citra in the past.

Your computer is definitely compatible with citra, and as you mentioned, it runs, but has issues.
btw, have you tried ‘Single Window Mode’ on the ‘View’ menu?

I have tried both single window mode and the separate window mode and the problem occurs on both. The odd thing is that the game runs on full screen (although I drop fps).

That happened to me once along time , my solution was to unistall citra complety (backuping user folder first) then reinstalled, i dont know why maybe something was corrupt when updating then restoring user folder

1 Like

Same problem help citra_log.txt (34.9 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1552 HEAD-7dc472a
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.4358
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

citra_log.txt (46.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1554 HEAD-7625306
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
GPU Driver Version                            23.20.16.4973
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.