Citra keeps crashing after launching game

Issue:
I didn’t always have this issue. Citra used to run just fine on my PC until I updated the Nightly to 175x version. I also don’t have this problem on my Linux setup, which is also running the current nightly version and runs on this exact PC configuration.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: AMD RX Vega 64
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1754
  • Game: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): How can I include a screenshot of the game crashing? Nevertheless, here you go.

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (37.1 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1754   HEAD-54a36bc
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor             | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            Radeon RX Vega
GPU Driver Version                           22.2.2 30.0.14029.1011
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

Go to Emulation>Configuration>General and select Reset All Settings, then try again.

If that doesn’t work either, please set up a portable build to rule out any issues with your Citra installation or appdata:

Go to Download Citra - Citra and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (.7z can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder.
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder and run your game. If it crashes once again, upload another log file.

1. I’ve reset my Citra settings twice and both times, nothing changed.

2. There is no operating system icon under the Nightly build section; it just links me to Github where I can download the source code. The Canary release has the icons, but that’s more experimental if I’m not mistaken.

EDIT: Found the proper release on the Github page. Uploading log file now. It didn’t crash, but this time I noticed weird stuttering in Devil Summoner Soul Hackers that wasn’t present prior.

citra_log.txt (178.9 KB)

CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor             | AVX2 | FMA
System Region                                -1

System Region                                -1

Well, we’re getting somewhere at least. Does the stuttering occur even at 100% speed, or does the speed drop in accordance with the stutter?

The stuttering happens in the following areas:

• Areas with polygonal models (i.e. Paradigm X or literally any dungeon)
  • When I had to enter my character’s name
  • The start menu after I try to load my save file

The speed drops in accordance with the stutter, and as a result the sound drops off too. Also, I find it incredibly weird that Citra Nightly as it was installed keeps crashing, but the “portable” version runs just fine. Is there anything wrong with my configuration that only a proper “purge” would fix (if at all)?

The portable version has it’s own user folder and installation. This means that either of these things could have something broken in them on your regular installation. You can test these things out one by one though. Reinstall your installer Citra version. Test to see if the issue remains, if it does, the Citra installation is ruled out.

To check that version’s user folders, start up Citra, then go to File>Open Citra Folder. That should open up inside of the folder that contains that Citra version’s user folders (this would be the folder called user on your portable build). Rename one of the folders to (original folder name) edit, then relaunch Citra. Citra will create a new folder if it doesn’t detect the (original folder name) folder on launch. Keep changing folder names until your game starts working. Whichever folder you edited the name of last, is the folder containing the issue.

Ofcourse, if you’re not concerned with your save files or other dumped files, feel free to just delete all the folders in there and restart Citra. That would restore Citra to its original state (basically the same as the portable build). So that should work.

If you’re still experiencing the stuttering, pleas upload a log file using whichever build you end up using: How to Upload the Log File