Citra Nightly lag

Issue:
For me, Citra Nightly is really laggy and the counter reads 0 FPS a lot. Whenever I start a new level, something big happens, when I try to save or load a save state (loading especially), the emulation freezes and it shows 0 FPS for a bit, before it goes back to normal. This makes gameplay extremely inconvenient and stuff.

System Information

• Operating System: Mac OS
  • CPU: 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly
  • Game: All games
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
citra_log.txt (110.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1707 HEAD-a2f34ea
Operating System                              macOS 11.2
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8257U CPU @ 1.40GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 4.1
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 645
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

Save States aren’t meant as a replacement for normal in-game save files. Save states are meant to be used within a given gaming session, but not beyond them.

Save States also regularly break across different Citra versions so you should be careful with loading old save states on newer Citra versions.

As for your issue in particular, when saving or loading a state, it’s basically saving or loading the state of Citra entirely all at once (not just the game) → Which is hard on your system. This is unavoidable and it can only be mitigated somewhat when you’re using very powerful hardware. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, but I’m not only talking about save states. I’m talking about the whole emulator itself. Everyone says it works perfectly fine, but for me it’s so laggy I almost can’t play at all.

MacOS seems to have issues with some of the recent changes made in Citra. Perhaps your issue is related to that. Please try out this older Citra version to test this:
Download citra-osx-20200707-bd7ee8c.tar.gz from Release nightly-1587: Common: remove a mod from AlignUp (#5441) · citra-emu/citra-nightly · GitHub
Extract it and then run the citra-qt executable found inside of the extracted folder

Thanks! This helped a little, but I’m at least glad I don’t need to wait 5 minutes for the game to start. :slight_smile: