Citra + Pkmn Ultra Moon completely crashing (shutting down) my mac

Issue:
Hello there guys!
I didn’t really think I could emulate the 3DS on my mac, so I was really happy when I discovered Citra.

My Laptop isn’t exactly the latest and greatest, but I’ve got a nice i7 that can run even recent (native) videogames decently, so I thought why not?

So Ultra Moon runs, but it’s extremely slow, like always between 40-60% framerate. First question, is there any way to make the game faster by maybe reducing the graphics quality? Citra’s graphic settings didn’t help much.

That said, to the main issue: after some play, at apparently random moments (the first time it happened at the beginning of the first launch cutscene, than after making it to the actual game and being able to save, it can happen after some minutes of gameplay) the game will completely crash my mac. Never happened before in years of use. The computer reboots without any warning, and this kernel-panic-like screen is shown (never ever seen it before).

Do you guys have any clue? is there any other info I can provide? Thanks!

System Information

• 15-Inch Macbook Pro (Late 2011)
  • Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
  • Operating System: Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 2,4 GHz Quad-core
    • Cache L2 (per Core): 256 KB
    • Cache L3: 6 MB
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1024 MB VRAM)
  • Citra Version: Nightly HEAD-79d1bcf
  • Game: Pokémon Ultra Moon

Log:
I followed the instructions here on the community (can’t link cause 2+ links in post) to output a log on Mac, but it didn’t work; a log file is created, but absolutely nothing is written in it, whether Citra crashes or not.

I created a Pastebin with the Terminal log, which you can find here.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Can you update your system? The FAQ states that Mac OS X 10.12 and up is supported.

Ouch… I could theoretically, but I’m holding off for a variety of reason.
I should add though that after posting the thread I switched to the Canary channel and, probably thanks to the new Renderer, so far so good: in 20+ min of gameplay the computer hasn’t crashed and the game runs much smooter than on Nightly!
I’ll test it a lil more before updating the thread, but it looks like Canary might solve my problem entirely :tada:

2 Likes

After one more day of testing, I can confirm that the Canary builds (likely the new renderer) solve my problem almost entirely; I had one more instance of the computer crash after a couple hours of gameplay while on the Canary build, but I’m now at 6+ hours and nothing happened since.

I’m under the impression that the crash/reboot is caused by stress put by the emulator on the processor, but then again Canary almost solves it. Here’s hoping that newer builds will keep improving performance! :crossed_fingers: