Citra: Pokemon Ultra Sun Freeza

Hello! I need your help! I installed Citra last Wednesday, and I’ve been playing Pokemon Ultra Sun ever since. But today, when I tried to play, the game froze on the home screen, with 0 FPS, 0 Speed and no MS. What can I do to be fixing this?

System Information

• Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8800M Series
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1621
  • Game: Pokemon Ultra Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping. citra_log.txt (21.2 KB)

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1621 HEAD-df9e230
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.4276
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Hello again! All my Graphics Drivers are up to date. I activated Accurate Multiplication, but it made no difference, the game keeps freezing on the home screen. What do I do now?

There’s currently a bug in the Disk Shader Cache where if you use it without also enabling Accurate Multiplication, the Cache will start to endlessly compile, leading to ram usage going through the roof and eventually a crash.
The standard fix is clearing the old cache and enabling Accurate Multiplication by following these steps:

1. Open Citra then go to File->Open Citra Folder
  2. Open shaders folder then delete the opengl folder if it is there.
  3. Emulation->Configure… then click on Graphics on the left
  4. Click on the Advanced tab and turn on Accurate Multiplication

Additionally your GPU is problematic for Citra. It’s recommended to use an older version of citra to prevent random freezes:
Download ‘‘citra-windows-mingw-20191214-ddb7ead.7z’’ from:https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392
Unzip it anywhere you like and launch citra by running the citra-qt.exe found inside the extracted folder.

Actually I just noticed that citra appears to be using your CPU’s iGPU, instead of your dedicated GPU. You may need to change your GPU settings so that citra runs on your AMD Radeon HD 8800M, instead of your CPU’s Intel® HD Graphics 4000.
Doing that will mean you no longer need to use an older citra version to prevent freezes, though you may also experience slowdowns in citra performance as AMD’s opengl drivers (which citra uses to emulate) are very bad.

Follow these steps to do so:
Switching to the dedicated AMD GPU

• First, open Radeon Settings . One way to do that is right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop and choosing Radeon Settings from the menu.
  • Navigate to Preferences > Additional Settings > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
  • Select the game from the list of applications. If it is not in the list, click the Add Application button and select the *.exe-file of the game from the game’s installation directory. This adds the game to the list and you’ll be able to select it afterwards.
  • In the column Graphics Settings , assign the High Performance profile to the game.

Finally, apply your changes. Your game should now run with the dedicated AMD GPU.