Citra running slow in MH4U on new PC

I just assembled a new (and my first PC) and after setting up all of my drivers and desktop stuff, I wanted to try seeing how well it could emulate MH4U. I found that when I immediately loaded into Dundorma (starting area my save file went to on load), citra would immediately take up 98% of my GPU usage while struggling to maintain 27 fps. I’m very confused on why this is happening, and being so new to PC I’m not sure on where to even start with addressing the issue.

System Information:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6 Ghz 8-Core
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB
Citra Version: Nightly 1601
Game: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Screenshot and Log (if these help):

citra_log.txt (21.6 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1601 HEAD-f72be7a
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor             
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                             AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version                            20.8.1 27.20.2001.13001
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

After doing some more digging, I’m going to look into updating the game to version 1.1 and applying some cheats that should improve performance. I can post again after this is done to see if this solves the problem.

This fixed the problem, I can now run with 7x native resolution and filters at stable 30fps. Awesome, problem solved lol

If you are interested in 60fps then you would need to dual boot Linux (e.g Ubuntu), otherwise you will need to switch to the green team (maybe you plan on a RTX 30XX card?).

Would you be able to link a thread/tutorial on how to dual boot Linux? After a quick search I found something like this but am not sure if that is what you meant or how to apply it to Citra.

Well, you can also install it on a new drive like they do in this video:

But if you want it on the same drive as Windows, you can shrink the drive beforehand (go to Disk Manager, try shrink it by 50GB or so). You have the option when you install Ubuntu if you want to install it alongside Windows, you should then be able to use the free 50GB space that you created before.

If you are not confident dual booting like that, you can buy a new SSD and install it on that instead (follow the video above). You do not need to have that SATA to USB adapter, if you have spare SATA ports on your motherboard you can plug your drive there.

Ah I see, for now I think I’ll stick with Win10 since I don’t want to buy a new SSD/partition my existing one for Linux just to run Citra but I may explore it in the future. Thanks for the support!

1 Like