Citra runs super slow in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I have not tested this with any other game, but while playing Animal Crossing - New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo my speed usually rests idol at about 70%/100% speed. This is average, and can sometimes get as bad as 40% and as well good as 80%, sometimes 90% if I’m lucky. This mostly happens when in outside areas, but can also happen inside (though inside areas are notably better most of the time). My main concern is if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. I’ve tried the game on multiple resolutions, which seemed to change nothing. I also have a tower and tried installing more RAM, which didn’t seem to change matters either. The game runs and doesn’t freeze, but the speed is just god awful and annoying to deal with, making the game basically unplayable. I’m a beginner when it comes to tech, so any bit of help is super appreciated!
I am willing to upgrade any hardware if necessary, and I can install or take out RAM at will. I just want to get to the root of this problem, especially if I’m going to be throwing my money and time at something I don’t know will fix the issue… Max RAM is 32GB and min is 8GB.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 350GHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1226
  • Game: ACNL - Welcome Amiibo (Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo v1.5)
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

More spec screenshots (in case I missed anything):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (62.0 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1226 HEAD-322f575
OpenGL Vendor                                 ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer                               AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
OpenGL Version                                3.3.1
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [ ]
System Region                                 [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1226 HEAD-322f575
OpenGL Vendor                                 ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer                               AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
OpenGL Version                                3.3.1
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [ ]
System Region                                 [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Hey,

Your PC specs are pretty good, so I don’t think there Is a problem there. This seems like more of a software problem to me.

Make sure that you aren’t running any GL hooks (like Fraps, MSI Afterburner, Dxtory) with Citra.

Try to make sure that your Internal resolution Is a similar size to your screen display, you may need to lower the resolution quite a bit to get a steady framerate.

If nothing seems to work, turning on ‘limit speed’ and testing each percent to see what works the best could also be an option. (It will mean the game’s framerate will be worse, but steadier and more enjoyable overall.)

Also, Citra Is still a fairly new emulator so If things don’t work out, there will most likely be updates In the near future that Improve stability for these Issues.

Hopefully some of this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m glad you don’t think it’s a hardware issue. I was worried my setup was becoming too old for this program.

Is there a way to find what GL hooks are running, if there are any?

Are there also tutorials on the other things mentioned?

I’ll update this thread as soon as I try everything recommended, thank you!

edit: I also forgot to mention that my intention is to record Citra in it’s highest quality possible.

1 Like

GL hooks are add-ons for things such as recording etc.
Basically stuff running In the background that Is connected to what you are doing on Citra.

So, If you have recording software enabled while using Citra, It could impact the performance. I pretty much recommend trying to find the least demanding recording software to get your gameplay.

There are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube that show basics of ways to get better performance, If you can’t find any good ones, let me know and I’ll try and help out.

Sorry If some of my explanations are a little unclear.

I use OBS to record all of my junk. I believe it’s the least demanding and runs well.

Any links to any tutorials you think would help me are totally welcomed!

Cool, OBS shouldn’t affect It too much.

This video Is on Windows 10 but I’m pretty sure you can do most of this In 7 too. It’s just a few things that may Improve the performance.

Just to keep you informed, I just tried adjusting the Internal Resolution. I tried every option from Native (400 x 240) to 9x (3600 x 2160) and it does not change the speed.

I disabled Accurate Multiplication and Accurate Geometry Shader and it sliiiightly bettered the issue.

Limiting the speed also did not fix the issue.

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ll check it out and get back to you.

Update: I attempted everything in the tutorial. It did nothing. It did create a ton of more space on my PC, however. :sob: I don’t know why my computer is cursed to be like this.

My buddy’s computer runs the game perfectly fine. Here are his specs. He also has an NVidea GPU.

Pretty strange that It’s not working, It seems like It should be fine.

I don’t really know what else you could do, but maybe try different versions of Citra?

Some versions have more options for toning down graphics In return for better framerate.

I just tried a few things, including updating my graphics card. I have a really strange feeling it has something to do with my GPU, as I updated it through Radeon and the performance got even worse somehow. Maybe Citra isn’t built to work well with AMD? I’m not trying to make assumptions, but I’m desperate to fix this issue.

Hey, I was thinking It could maybe be the ROM?

Your using the Welcome Amiibo ver. which Is fairly new, I think that could maybe be the cause to some Issues- I’m not entirely sure though.

Another thing Is that If you keep the game running and just walk around the town for a bit, the game will eventually get smoother overtime, basically the emulator remembers all the textures and doesn’t have to load them up each time, making It faster.

Trying to download a new ROM may be tedious, so I could understand If you don’t want to attempt that.

Edit: I think your specs are fine honestly, I’m pretty sure AMD Is okay. I’ve seen worse specs manage to run the game, so It’s strange that this Isn’t working.

There is canary-1041 which had a feature that improves performance when ‘Enable Hardware Shader’ is disabled, it may improve performance.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, this actually made the performance of the game considerably better.

I’m hoping your solution is the final fix. Thank you for the recommendation! It occasionally dips down to about 85%, but I’m guessing that’s just the town loading in. Shoots right back up after I walk around a bit.

The ROM I provided for my buddy came from my 3DS. Works perfectly on his, didn’t work well on mine. I don’t really have too much doubt the ROM is the cause of the issue either. If bio3c’s solution doesn’t work in long term, I may consider upgrading my graphics card. I also hope Citra takes notice of this issue and does something in the future so people with specific cases like mine don’t occur more often. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Upgrade to a NVIDIA, changing to any other AMD GPU won’t make much of a difference.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I had planned, if I’m going to upgrade. Off topic, but any cards to recommend?

Honestly i think that is up to you, citra isn’t that GPU demanding if you not planning on playing at very high resolutions. if you want numbers to get an idea just search videos on youtube and check the citra’s compatibility list for a base reference.

I’ll surely check it out. Thank you for your help!

Hello, I have nearly the same PC configuration as yours, and the game worked slow when game screen is big, I just solved the problem by decreasing my windows screen resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080. The game works perfectly now.
Hope it helps :wink: