Citra Updater has erased everything

Issue:
I always run Citra Updater (the Maintenance Tool) when I started my PC, as I listed it as one of the startup app, and wanted to keep my stuff up-to-date. Today, I let my mom use my PC for awhile, and she accidently uninstall Citra…

Things would be OK if my user folder, as well as the ROM folder I made (for the obvious purpose) inside Citra’s main folder remained intact. But it wasn’t. All of the savefiles, all of my settings, as well as the collection of dumped ROMs and DLC, they all gone after the uninstall. My D:/ drive, which usually have around 25GB free, is now 78.2GB free… And you know what’s worse? I sold my 3DS months ago, so no, I can’t even think about getting the lost files back.

…Sorry for ranting, guys, I’m just too shocked. So please, if you guys are still working on the update, make it so that it wouldn’t erase the whole Citra folder without a single trace, make an option like “keeping personal files” or something like that and make it default. And for non-devs who read this, please, don’t make the same mistakes as I did, as it will now haunt me for the rest of my life.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Build 1809
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-2348M
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (OpenGL 3.3 through MESA)
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): How should I know? It got uninstalled, both Canary and Nightly.
  • Game: …Seriously?
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): …Why?

Diagnostic Log
…If it did exist, it should be gone by now.

Update: It’s fine, I got over it :rofl: Turned out I got my saves backed up on OneDrive, and my best bud got the ROM covered. The settings are still gone though :sweat_smile:

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

There’s not even a single thing left, the maintenance tool deleted everything. Even the AppData’s folder is gone.

During the installation of Citra, you selected a different directory other than the default installation location.

It displayed a warning that if you select a location with existing files, they would be erased during uninstallation.

This is why we do not recommend changing the default installation location.

We are working on moving our Citra installer to yuzu’s custom built installer, where you are unable to change the default location, so this problem is avoided in the future.

My C:/ drive only had about 5GB left at the time, so I used D:/ instead at it was more spacious

I know. The problem is, my mom couldn’t even understand that warning, so she uninstalled it anyways. I just wanted to keep it up-to-date, so I hope the default action when the Maintenance Tool run can be Update, not Uninstall to avoid all this.

After I calmed myself down, I did manage to retrieve some of the save files from backups and recovery tools. As for the ROMs, I will try other ways to get them back, as there is no way a recovery tool can handle them.

It probably is the default location. To not making the same mistake as I did, backup the user folder regularly.

We are working on moving our Citra installer to yuzu’s custom built installer, where you are unable to change the default location, so this problem is avoided in the future.