CItraSetup "Installation Has Failed"

Issue:
Trying to go by SimplyAustin’s tutorial on YouTube, in which he chose the April 9th Bleeding Edge, I thought that the nightly build would yield me the same result, so I got that. Lo and behold, there’s no Citra file in AppData\Local OR \Roaming, both of which I need for the tutorial. Naturally, I tried to get a Bleeding Edge version instead. I’ve tried many versions of Bleeding Edge for Windows, spamming from April 9th to the latest, but every time I run CItraSetup.exe, it gives me the same prompt: "Installation has failed - There was an error while installing the application. Check the setup log for more information and contact the author. Contact me by email ([snip]) if you need the setup log because it’s WAY too big to post here so I’d rather send it as a file.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Again, email me if you want this, but I don’t think it matters in this case. Don’t know how to get the info anyway.

Log:
(according to the link below) "Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private,"
In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide: How to Upload the Log File

If the installer is not working, you can always download the .nupkg version of Bleeding Edge and extract it https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-bleeding-edge/releases/tag/bleeding-edge-431

Logs can be uploaded via Pastebin and posted here. Further, you haven’t exactly described what you are trying to do with the Nightly build.

yes i’ll need to see the SquirrelSetup.log in order to tell you what went wrong and what you can do to get around it.

you can just use the nightly build instead if you don’t feel like dealing with installing bleeding edge.

@jroweboy: Setup Log:

2017-07-20 16:38:46> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2017-07-20 16:38:46> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2017-07-20 16:38:46> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra
2017-07-20 16:38:46> Program: Install path C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra already exists, burning it to the ground
2017-07-20 16:38:47> Utility: The files inside C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra\app-0.1.431 could not be read
2017-07-20 16:38:47> Utility: The directories inside C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra\app-0.1.431 could not be read
2017-07-20 16:38:47> IEnableLogger: Failed to remove existing directory on full install, is the app still running???: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra\app-0.1.431' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.SetAttributes(String path, FileAttributes fileAttributes)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<DeleteDirectory>d__19.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c.<<DeleteDirectory>b__19_1>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<<ForEachAsync>b__1>d.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__34.MoveNext()
2017-07-20 16:38:47> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra\app-0.1.431' is denied.
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Carrie\AppData\Local\citra\app-0.1.431' is denied.
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Upd``ate.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()<---

The reason I want the Bleeding Edge build is, unless I’m missing something, the nightly build is in a .zip, not CItraSetup.exe. The .zip doesn’t make the files in Appdata\Local and \Roaming, which I’m led to believe is the only way to carry out everything I want to do (just play FE: Echoes with a PS4 controller). I’ve tried with the Nightly Build and I can run it just fine, but I need a user folder to avoid corrupted save files, crashes, and all that bad stuff. If there’s a CitraSetup.exe that comes with the Nightly Build, then I’ll try it in a heartbeat, but so far I can’t find it.

@Selby: As I’ve said above, all I really want to do at the moment is set up Fire Emblem: Echoes. And new users can’t attach files.

lg_0: What’s the difference between Delta and Full?

EDIT: Code block added by moderator.

the issue is you have installed it, and its currently running (probably in the background), and when you try reinstall it, it can’t install because you still have the program running and it can’t delete it. you need to kill it with task manager (since something really went wrong) or restart your computer or something to kill the process.

you also misunderstand what goes in those folders and what a user folder is.

appdata\local\citra is where bleeding edge gets installed to

appdata\roaming\citra is where BOTH nightly and bleeding edge and any other citra compiled since sept 2016 store their configuration files at.

When you load any citra it does the following

• Is there a folder named “user” in the same directory as the citra-qt.exe file?
    ** if yes, load and store config in there
    ** if no, load and store config in appdata/roaming/citra

it doesn’t matter if you use bleeding edge or nightly for that.

a “user folder” is just a place to store the same files that 3ds games would have access to (and some other citra specific configuration). citra developers and other people have been researching all the different files that need to be there to play games, but without them, people can’t play some games. as a workaround, we made it so you can dump the files from your own 3ds and put them in the user folder. its not legal to ship files straight from a 3ds like that since its copyrighted. we have to reverse engineer the files first and ship copies that we generated ourselves, but that takes a lot of time and effort, so its not complete yet.

i get that you just want to play your game, but you gotta take a second to understand whats going on here because you seem a little confused. you don’t need an installer to configure citra. you don’t need bleeding edge to add your 3ds system files. yes, the zip does make the files in appdata\roaming\citra if there is not a user folder in the same directory as the citra-qt.exe. the difference between delta and full is delta is for updating and full is for a fresh install.

source: i’m the citra dev that made the nightly and bleeding edge builds :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a bunch, dude. Everything’s working fine now. Except…

I’m trying to set up my PS4 controller, but no matter how many times I change the options, config.ini is absent from the user folder, meaning that I can’t set up the controller. I’m using the latest nightly.

Hey, I’m having the same problem. So what is the solution to it? Can I have some advice or steps to solve it? It would be great if get a solution to it thanks!

You sure config-qt.ini isn’t there?

It should be at C:/Users/your username/AppData/Roaming/citra/config

there is one config-qt
Is that the problem?

I mean there is one called qt-config.ini

qt-config is what I’m looking for, but again, it’s not there.