Current ".bin" save file format/directory location may become obsolete?

I’ve started playing both Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII using the latest official Citra builds on Windows 7, with my Citra save games for both titles being automatically saved to my computer in “.bin” file format. For example, for Dragon Quest VIII, the file is titled “honeySave.bin”, and is located at C:\Users(My User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Citra\sdmc\Nintendo 3DS\00000000000000000000000000000000\ 00000000000000000000000000000000\title\00040000\0018f100\data\00000001. For Dragon Quest VII, there are three files titled “cardinfo.bin”, “save001.bin”, and “system.bin” in the corresponding Citra DQVII game data directory.

As I understand Citra is still a work in process, my questions are: Will the file formats and locations I just described always be compatible as Citra save files for these two games in future Citra builds, including the eventual final version of Citra? If not, will I always be able to easily convert the above-described “.bin”-format save files into whatever future save file format is eventually used by the final version of Citra? I’m a bit confused, since I’ve seen older articles referencing Citra save files titled simply “main”, or alternatively in “.dat” or “.sav” (rather than my “.bin”) format.

Cheers for all of your incredible work, and thanks in advance for your reply!

All saves generated by Citra are identical to ones you would get by extracting it from a 3DS with JKSM or the like, each game can use whatever it wants in it’s save which is why there’s different file extensions. If Citra ever supports encrypted saves it will be able to use unextracted .sav files, but we would never intentionally break compatibility with older saves

Thanks for the quick reply, BreadFish - that’s what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate your work on Citra!

happy-oh-stop-it-you

6 Likes

What the hell :joy: xD