Dragon Quest VIII crashes when entering any building

Issue:
Basically the game is working fine but when i enter any building in the game it crashes…was fine a second ago but keeps happening now, edit: it just randomly crashes, the screen goes black and citra closes. citra_log.txt (82.9 KB)

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home
  • CPU: Intel® Core ™ i3-220 CPU 3.30GHz, 3300 MHz
  • GPU: Intel® HD Graphics
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1628
  • Game: Dragon Quest VIII
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1628 HEAD-1c8461f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.5146
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1628 HEAD-1c8461f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.5146
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

@SleepingSnake any advice or solutions?

Update Your GPU drivers to the latest version check it out here…

also, please try this:
1. Open Citra then go to File->Open Citra Folder
2. Open shaders folder then delete the OpenGL folder if it is there.
3. Go to Emulation->Configure and then click on Graphics on the left.
4. Click on the Advanced tab and turn on Accurate Multiplication.
The Disk Shader Cache currently has a bug when Accurate Multiplication is turned off causing it to load all shaders slowly from zero every time you start the game and makes the precompiled cache extremely large + the RAM usage skyrockets until you crash.

His drivers are up-to-date (the bot is dumb about old GPU’s sometimes) and the second part refers to the disk shader cache bug, which doesn’t apply here because the Disk Shader Cache is disabled to begin with.

Actually, let’s try an older citra version. Seeing as it seems as though your GPU is at fault, maybe that’ll help with the crashing.
Download citra-windows-mingw-20191214-ddb7ead.7z (direct link) from https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392
Extract it using Winrar or 7zip. Put the extracted folder anywhere you want. Inside the extracted nightly-mingw folder, create a folder called user. Now run citra-qt.exe from the folder and run your game.

1 Like

So should i move citra-qt.exe into the ‘user’ folder then run it? sorry i just need reassurance lol.

Screenshot 2020-10-10 001537
came up with like two more of these when i try to run it from that folder.

Oh, it worked but it resets all the data, yikes. isn’t there any way for the original citra to work cause all my data is on there…?

Or to transfer data?

Yes, there is. Check your original Citra folder (the one that you used to play and in which you found the bug). There you should have a folder named “user”. If it’s not there then your personal files (saves, configs, input profiles etc) are at another location. Just go to this location, copy and paste the “user” folder to your new Citra installation (in this case, the one which Sleeping Snake asked you to test).

Here’s a guide to find the user folder:

This configuration is what I meant. Don’t move citra-qt.exe, simply launch it from the position it’s in. Creating the user folder in that folder will force citra to create all the folders (config, log, emulated sd, which includes save data) in that user folder instead of in appdata, where it normally stores these things. So it’s basically to create a completely fresh testing bench.

You should probably test whether this citra version solves your issue before attempting to port your save files over.
In order to transfer over your save files please follow these steps:

• Start up your regular installer version of citra
  • Right click on your game in the game list and select Open Save Data Location
  • Go up a couple of directories untill you reach the folder called 00040000. This folder contains the save files of all your games. Copy and paste this file to your desktop for now
  • Now fire up the older citra version (the one you manually downloaded), add the game directory where you store your rom (so that it shows up in the game list), then launch the game.
  • After it’s been launched, citra will have created the necesary file path for the saves, which means you can then immediately go to emulation>stop
  • Now right click on your game again and select Open Save Data Location.
  • Go up a couple of directories again until you reach the 00040000 folder.
  • Now copy-and-paste-and-replace this 00040000 with the 00040000 that you’ve got on your desktop.

Then you’re done, your saves should now be transfered.

@dezraj Whilst I appreciate you trying to help, if he follows your suggestion, the purpose of setting up a user folder to begin with would be defeated. If there are any issues in appdata, we don’t want to take that with us to the fresh install, we just want the save files.

2 Likes

Hey, i appreciate your support and advice, which i’m following, however i’m a little confused on the “00040000” folder, when i click on open save data location it shows this:

I then clicked on the 00040000 thing at the top and it took me to this:
Do i copy and paste these two files? is this the 00040000 file? (cause theres two folders in it) so i would just copy and paste both these files?

Okay nvm about the previous post! thank you once again for helping me out with this, the game now works, thank you and have a good day (:

1 Like