Drastic Slowdown In-Game for Super Smash Bros

Issue:
I’m running into dramatic slow in matches, where it’s drops to 21% and averaging 12 FPS but the menu’s are fast it’s just the in-game and end game sequence. So I wanted to know is it because I have an AMD graphic’s card (even though it is currently running OpenGL 4.6), or are there some settings I could use to tweak performance? I’ve tried tinkering with settings to no avail, to where increasing and decreasing solution doesn’t impact performance either.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 11
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1760
  • Game: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296
citra_log.txt (1.2 MB)

Edit: For anyone wanting better performance with an AMD GPU on Windows I just tried someone’s suggestion, disable Hardware Shader and for an extra buff disable VSync. This should work for most games like Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem.

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2118   HEAD-17630ed
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor              | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version                           22.4.1 30.0.15021.1001
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [ ]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.
  • You are using open source system files for Mii data. This will appear as your Mii having broken graphics, but will not affect the stability of the game. In order to resolve this, please refer to our guide on dumping system files. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-system-archives-and-the-shared-fonts-from-a-3ds-console/

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2118   HEAD-17630ed
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor              | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version                           22.4.1 30.0.15021.1001
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [ ]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.
  • You are using open source system files for Mii data. This will appear as your Mii having broken graphics, but will not affect the stability of the game. In order to resolve this, please refer to our guide on dumping system files. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-system-archives-and-the-shared-fonts-from-a-3ds-console/

The OpenGL version only pertains to what feature set of OpenGL the GPU driver supports, it has no bearing on the quality of the implementation of the features, nor their efficiency unfortunately. AMD has basically said that OpenGL is dead that they won’t touch their current OpenGL implementation if they can help it. Which basically means that if it runs like crap now, it’ll run like crap for a long time to come.

Regardless, you can try disabling Hardware Shaders in Emulation>Configuration>Graphics>Advanced Tab. This sometimes improves performance for AMD users on Windows. Other than that, Linux might be your only other option. The open source Mesa driver developers there actually give a crap so their OpenGL drivers are pretty great. You can expect at least 3x the performance.