DS4 Controller issue on Nightly 1587 in Macbook Air M1

Hallo,

I’ve been using Nightly 1587 on MacOS 10.15.7 (High Sierra) for playing Fire Emblem Echoes(FEE) without a hitch (with low framerate though) with DS4 controller. I couldn’t play FEE on Citra later versions because it kept crashing after the intro, so I’m stuck with Nightly 1587.

I recently upgraded my computer to Macbook Air with M1 ARM chip. I tried Nightly 1587 on the new laptop, FEE ran with better framerate. My issue now is that it wouldn’t register my DS4 controller. I’ve checked with Nightly 1649, it recognizes DS4 controller, however FEE would crash after the intro, just like on previous laptop and MacOS.

I also tried to fiddle with qt-config.ini, but it didn’t do anything since the issue is that Nightly 1587 does not recognize DS4 controller (tethered or through bluetooth).

So, I’m still stuck with Nightly 1587 that wouldn’t connect to DS4 controller. What should I do next?

Thank you

System Information

• Operating System: MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur
  • CPU: Apple Silicon M1
  • GPU: Apple Silicon M1
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1587 & Nightly 1649
  • Game: Fire Emblem Echoes
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

citra_log.txt (22.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1587 HEAD-bd7ee8c
Operating System                              macOS 10.16
CPU                                           VirtualApple @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Apple M1
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1587 HEAD-bd7ee8c
Operating System                              macOS 10.16
CPU                                           VirtualApple @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Apple M1
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

After numerous testing, I finally found a solution myself, but don’t know the long lasting effect later on.

I replaced citra-qt source file from Nightly 1587, then replaced in Nightly 1649 (the latest version as of this writing).

First, right click on citra-qt app (Nightly 1587) then click show package files. Afterwards look into folder ~/contents/MacOS. There, you will have

citra-qt

file, copy or cut this file.

Then, do the same steps on version Nightly 1649, then replace citra-qt file on that folder with this one.

hope that helps someone else~

You likely only need the libs/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib from the newer version pasted on the older version instead.
As for FEE not running on newer versions, could you provide a log of it running on the latest nightly?

I hope you will see this, but did this work for your emulator? I have been looking around and I wanted to try your strategy, but I wanted to make sure that it truly worked?

My method still works right now, but only for Fire Emblem Echoes. I haven’t tried other games, and I also haven’t tried what vitor-k had suggested. I’ll try to provide the running log later on.