Feature requests and broken game (easy/medium and hard, respectively, I think)

Hi! First of all, I apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong place. I’ve been using the Android version of Citra (Premium) in a Snapdragon 888 phone, so most games are running quite well, even with enhancements.
However, there is one small missing feature that’s been bugging me: different/custom screen layouts for portrait mode. It pains me to see the bottom screen so much larger (proportionally) than the top screen. I’d like to make it the same height, with black bars on the sides to fix the aspect ratio. Pretty much the “Portrait” layout we can get in landscape mode. That is, both screens treated as a single 400×480 image, with the aforementioned black bars to make the bottom screen fit the lower half, which would then be scaled to whatever horizontal resolution our phones have in portrait mode (usually 1080 or 1440). We should also be able to resize/move the screens ourselves.
Another — probably harder — feature I’d like to see added is shader compilation on load (Dolphin does this on Android, Yuzu does so on Windows as well). I’ve been seeing mostly flawless performance in my games, except for major stutters the first time any particular object is shown on screen. Wild Pokémon or Trainer battles are a major example (they work just fine from then on until I reboot the game).
I’d also like to report a broken game (or remind you of it, in case you already know): Tales of the Abyss (EU). The audio plays, the game reacts to button presses and I hear the appropriate audio response, I constantly see 30 FPS/100%, but the screens are black. I’ve tried fiddling with some settings, but the most I’ve gotten out of that is the intro video playing (with garbage), and not even that survives a reboot with the same settings that made it appear in the first place.
Thank you in advance for your attention, and I’ll post this wherever you feel is more appropriate (Discord, GitHub?) if this is the wrong place.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Citra on Android is still in a beta phase, pretty much. Opening pull requests on Github is open to everyone if someone wants to improve this area: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-android/pulls. It would get merged after they pass the reviews from our maintainers.

You can see in the link above that there is a PR for Disk Shader Cache which opened pretty recently. It would most likely help with your second problem. We will announce when that gets added.

Tales of the Abyss has a known problem before it turned black(regression) where the screens were broken: Tales of the Abyss / Pac Man Party 3D - wrong screens offsets · Issue #1542 · citra-emu/citra · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply. I’ve since talked to Flamboyant Ham on Discord regarding the screen size thing and opened an issue on GitHub. I’ll patiently and eagerly await the shader pull to be merged.

1 Like