First Install - Slow FPS

First pass installation today.
I tried a couple of titles and they’re crawling.

I’ve uploaded the short version of my log (i.e. deleted duplicate entries about rendering optimization warnings)yuzu_log_short.txt (161.1 KB)

Here’s a link to the full thing
File.io Link

I noticed that the GPU hardly wakes up with max utilisation at a measly 15% per HWMonitor

Performance wise I was hovering at around 60% with spikes/troughs down to single digits.
Just wanted to confirm whether I have screwed anything royally and that things are broadly how they should be.
On another title (Pokemon Sword) the situation is even more dire with avg 15-20 FPS.

Thanx to anyone who takes the time.
Turtle

System Information for Support

Client Version                                yuzu 270             . HEAD-mainline-636-2149-g9b01af353
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 4.6.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            442.59
Docked Mode                                   [ ]
Use Async GPU                                 [ ]
BCAT Backend                                  none
GPU Emulation Accuracy Level                  Normal

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Async GPU emulation is recommended as it can improve the performance of many games.

Just did two trials with the bot suggestions:

Pokken Tournament
yuzu_log_new.txt (1.5 MB)

Pokkemon Sword
yuzu_log.txt (312.7 KB)

Again, I don’t expect miracles, just wanting to eliminate any possibility that I FUBAR’d anything before I get stuck in with a deeper dive.

Turtle

Client Version                                yuzu 270             . HEAD-mainline-636-2149-g9b01af353
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Use Async GPU                                 [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Use Async GPU                                 [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Async GPU emulation is recommended as it can improve the performance of many games.

The GPU will not be used more than that as the GPU on the Switch is several times smaller than yours, you can only push for a higher GPU use with mods or the like.
Your main performance limit is the CPU and the RAM clock speed. Yuzu is very sensitive to both CPU and RAM clock speed, and you have a Haswell Xeon, which is quite limited in both, due to the lower clocks of a workstation CPU aiming for efficiency and the DDR3 RAM that goes with it.

I can offer some tips to improve performance, first one, update to the latest 446 driver for the GPU, use disk shader cache and asynchronous GPU, and follow this video to configure the Nvidia control panel for yuzu:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRFhicsLw0&t=978s
With that, and running yuzu with admin rights, you should get a performance boost.
After that, wait for future optimizations, mainly Multicore support which will make use of your 6 cores. That’s currently in testing in the early access build, but it should be soon-ish in the regular mainline build.

That’s awesome!
I really appreciate this.
I got a new(er) system with 6700 and 32gigs of DDR4 but with a lowly 1650 instead of the 2080 which I’ll try.

Having said that, my main rig (the one from the logs) also runs DDR4’s as the 5820K is from the enthusiast range running on the 2011v3 socket.https://valid.x86.fr/f1jx4k Yes, it a little dated but together with the rest of the setup, runs everything fine without breaking a sweat. (And yes, I know emulators are a different beast that have their own rules :slight_smile: )

Also, I noticed that even the CPU isn’t really being made to work with no core going over 50%. For comparison when it runs [email protected] it’s 80+% across all 12 threads.

Still, I’ll do a few runs on the 6700 which is one gen newer than the 5820k and see how it goes.

Thanks again for taking the time. Appreciated.

You should see a very good performance boost, Skylake based CPUs improved in a lot of areas compared to previous ones, and there should be no performance differences between the 2080 and the 1650, as both are the same arch and are more than big enough for yuzu.
Without multicore, if you follow the instructions in the video, expect yuzu to use 3 threads at most, with multicore that increases to 6, that helps explain the low average CPU use.

1 Like

Wow, simply WOW.
You were SO correct.
I had a trial run on the newer gen CPU (a 6700 affair with a measly 16GB of bog standard DDR4) and it smoked it! For sh!ts&giggles I unlocked the speed and it kept a good 140%-160% throughout (apart from occasional lag spikes).
And this on a measly 5 year old, HP SFF computer from 2015 with a puny 200W PSU and a low profile 1650.

It was one of those “I have to see to believe” moments. What a difference one generation makes!
Thank you for your guidance and explanations.

1 Like