Full screen mode is really slow for some reason

Issue:
When playing in full screen, the game takes an average of 10%-20% speed and 5 FPS decrease while using higher rendering resolutions. This is even compared to maximized windowed mode which runs at 100% speed. Since the rendering resolution is exactly the same in both cases (in fact the screen is exactly identical other than the title bar and taskbar being visible) I can assume that it probably isn’t an issue with my PC, but I’ve included my system information anyway. The only two games I’ve tested are Dragon Quest VIII and Ocarina of Time 3D and this only seems to happen with the former. I’ve included the main Citra window on the second (leftmost) monitor to show the FPS and speed in each scenario. Also tested both the latest Nightly and Canary builds of Citra (as of yesterday) and it’s the same on both. I’ve also tried using Borderless Gaming and it’s the same result as Citra’s default full screen.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2390T CPU @ 2.70 GHz
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • Citra Version: Citra Nightly 1327 and Citra Canary 1439
  • Game: Dragon Quest VIII

citra_log.txt (75.2 KB)

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1327 HEAD-d18d2a0
OpenGL Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 -1

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

I thought I uploaded the log file in the first place, but I guess it didn’t go through. I’ve edited the OP to add it as well as the screenshots I mentioned.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1327 HEAD-d18d2a0
OpenGL Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 -1

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Then dont play at fullscreen since you not getting much different from doing so, citra is still heavily experimental anyway, so dont force it too much

Yeah, I’m not. It’s still slightly annoying to see the title bar at all times though. Figured I should mention it for the developers anyway since it seems to be an issue.