Games don't run after loading save state + extremely slow

Issue:
When loading a save state in Citra, my games (Pokémon Y & Omega Ruby) don’t work anymore. I have audio, but the game itself won’t do anything. Also, before this, Citra was running really slow (5 to 15 FPS) and was hardly playable.

System Information

• Operating System: MacOS Catalina
  • CPU: 2,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • GPU: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1588
  • Game: Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Ultra Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (34.5 KB)
In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1588 HEAD-f4e727c
Operating System                              macOS 10.15
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

When issues arise from save states it is a good idea to load the game normally so you are able to create new save states. There is no guarantee that save states will work between versions and save states are not a replacement for regular saves.

Ok, thanks! The games still run really slow, can that be fixed or is my Mac just not fast enough?

Try turn off Disk Shader Cache and Hardware Shader. Maybe try an older build like https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392.

Didn’t do anything, but I’ll look into an older build. Thank you for your help!

I installed the 1392 build and it worked pretty decent at first (speed at 50-60% and about 20 FPS), but now it’s back to a 40-50% speed and 10-15 FPS. It was playable, but now it lags a lot again.

Ok, RIP Mac I guess :confused:

Damn, it would suck if it can’t be fixed. I do however have a hard drive installed. Could that slow things down for me?

Update: the Pokémon games work at 17-20FPS with Citra Nightly 1392. But for some reason, Pokémon Y has no audio, except the Pokémon cries. I’ve been told my Mac should be able to get to 60FPS or is this normal for the main Pokémon games?

That Pokémon game uses AAC audio iirc and there were some issues on the older builds, but at least you don’t crash right? That used to happen :stuck_out_tongue:
Pokémon games are typically locked to 30 fps for 100% speed. 60 fps would be 200% speed. On my old i7-3770K (OC to 4.3GHz) with GTX 1070 I can reach 125fps (415% speed) at 4x resolution. This is on Windows 10.

For gaming, it’s recommended to go with a Windows machine, or Linux. New CPUs & GPUs will come out soon so maybe you are up for building a gaming PC this fall. Zen 3 & RTX 3000 / “Big Navi” hype :P. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Apple also deprecated OpenGL so they won’t improve their drivers anymore. Even x86 is getting replaced with Apple Silicon (the new ARM chips that will power the next generation Macs) so Citra won’t work on them as it is right now. If you planned to buy a new Mac later this year.

Thanks for the info! It’s playable and it doesn’t crash anymore so I’m not complaining. Was just curious since I’ve been told the games should reach 30fps and 100% speed. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like