GPU not supported by OpenGL 3.3 error

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
I was trying to play Miitopia until I have the error saying that my GPU is not supported by OpenGL 3.3. I really don’t want to buy a new pc or graphics driver. I have a hard time trying to find my computer’s GPU.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 x64
  • CPU: Intel (name), 460 (model number), 2.53 GHz (speed)
  • GPU: Intel (name) 8086 (not sure about the model number)
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Canary 1262
  • Game: Miitopia
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (12.3 KB)

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1263 HEAD-f68231e
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics
OpenGL Version                                2.1.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 2

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Your GPU hardware only supports OpenGL version 2.1.0. Citra requires OpenGL 3.3.0 and above. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/faq/
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

What should I do about my GPU?

Upgrading it is your only option. Citra requires OpenGL 3.3.0 or higher while your current GPU only supports 2.1.0. I’m afraid you have to either buy a new PC or a dedicated GPU.

…and preferably a nvidia GPU.

Well, I guess I can’t play games on Citra but I just wish I can get a GPU for free. :frowning:

Yeah I wish I can get a dedicated GPU like Nvidia but I have to buy it.:frowning:

What should I do? I really don’t want to buy graphics cards or a GPU. :frowning:

If you don’t want to buy a new GPU then your only option is to not use Citra. Just play the game on an actual 3DS.

There are games that I don’t have like Miitopia which is very disappointing to me.

Keep in mind that Citra doesn’t support piracy, you must legally own the games you wish to play on Citra.

That said, the fact still remains that if you want to use Citra, you need to buy a new GPU. There’s no other alternative other than not using the emulator.

Yeah, you’re right but I really don’t do piracy at all.

Is there any way to get an Nvidia GPU for free so that I can play the Citra emulator?

You can make citra run without opengl 3.3 by using mesa opengl emulator, but it will run at 10-20% of normal speed.
Newer versions of mesa doesn’t work you must search older version. You can google for a version that is known to work with citra.

What version of Mesa OpenGL emulator can I google for?

Uff! Right now I don’t know what is the last version working with citra.
At home I have the working version, but I don’t remember the version.

Read this and see if it helps:

Try this link. I think this is the thing.
https://cristianadam.eu/assets/grim-fandango/mesa_10_5_5_opengl32_pgo.zip

Uh… no, there isn’t any way to get a GPU for free. It’s like asking if there’s a way you can get a car for free, or a game console. Unless you know someone willing to give you one as a gift, you have to buy it yourself.

While you can emulate OpenGL, it makes the emulator run so slow that the games are completely unplayable.Like I said, unless you get REALLY lucky with Mesa (which 99/100 people are not), your only choices are to either buy a better GPU or not use the emulator.

What can I do with the file opengl32.dll from the extracted mesa zip file?

Sorry for the delay.
Just copy it inside where citra-qt.exe is.
You have to create a file named citra-qt.bat
Edit it with notepad and write as follows:

set MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT
citra-qt.exe

Now run this bat file and open a game. Now it must work. If not, check in your BIOS settings if you have Intel Virtualization Technologies enabled.