Gpu usage max out at 50%

Hi :blush:
I’m running yuzu on an rx590 (8gb) using vulkan.
It seems like gpu usage doesn’t go higher than 50% no matter what game I play. It oscillates between 40 and 50%. Mostly at or very close to 50.

Could there actually be anything preventing yuzu to use more than 50% of gpu power on my pc or is it just that it doesn’t need more (I doubt that…)?

Task manager shows gpu usage as “3d”, essentially. Nothing in the other fields…

Thank you for your help.
Best,
-a-

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Yuzu and emulation in general is not GPU limited but CPU limited.

1 Like

My cpu usage oscillates around 10%
R5 5600G (I guess the iGPU isn’t doing anything).

Does that mean that in my case hardware isn’t limiting.

Yes that CPU should handle everything fine. The CPU emulation is also limited by how many cores are actually used on switch hardware. The switch has 4 cores but games only use 3 of those at most (the 4th is reserved for the switch OS and such rather than games) while a bunch of games even only mostly one of the cores. That means at most games will use 3 threads of your CPU for CPU emulation. ASYNC GPU uses another thread. There are some other things that yield a smaller load on further threads such as services and such but that impact is small. The only time when a large number of threads will actually be used is when compiling shaders. Once there are no shaders to compile the load on a 12 thread CPU will thus be pretty low since only a few cores are under bigger load then and it’s not like the cores of the switch are usually under full load at all times when playing games - not the entirety of a game consists of space battles and explosions etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed and useful reply :blush: