So this guide is a copy of the one from Gamebanana. But since not everyone go to that site, I’ll just post it here.
Also, I can’t get this topic on Tutorial because the site doesn’t want me to.
This guide will teach you how to install Smash 3DS Mods on Citra Emulator. It’s an alternate to Luma Game Patching. This is for those who wanted to play some mods on the emulator and likely use it for testing mods instead of inserting and ejecting the sd card multiple times.
- Modded 3DS with Luma CFW
- Homebrew Launcher(for dumping NAND)
- Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS game
- Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS Update 1.1.7 (Optional: DLC)
- Smash 3DS dump(for obtaining decompressed code.bin)
- HackingToolKit 3DS(for extracting the game’s data)
- A mod that you want to install
- Citra 3DS Emulator
Now I know that some of you don’t actually have a modded 3DS(obviously sold it) or you’re already on the latest firmware, you can skip this part if you already have the game and update and proceed to HackingToolKit 3DS.
- Installing Hacked 3DS and dump the game and update
- Download the latest Nightly Build or Canary Build
Dumping things from the 3DS:
Before you start playing the emulator, you have to dump these stuff. Sadly, I’m not allowed to share shared_font.bin, NAND, or game’s update as it’s considered warez.
To dump shared_font.bin or other files from the 3DS, go to these 2 links.
Dumping System Archives and the Shared Fonts from a 3DS Console:
Dumping Config Savegame from a 3DS Console:
If you don’t know how to dump the game and the update from the 3DS, here it is:
- Open Godmode9(requires CFW) by holding the START button while booting
- [A:]SYSNAND SD/title/00040000/000edf00/content/
- Select the biggest .tmd file
- Look at the bottom screen and select TMD file options and Dump CXI/NDS file
- Open GodMode9 by holding the START button while booting
- [C:] GAMECART
- Select 00040000000edf00.trim.3ds(Europe: 00040000000ee000.trim.3ds)
- Select NCSD image options and Decrypt file (0:/gm9/out)
Dumping Game Update:
- Open Godmode9 by holding the START button while booting
- [A:]SYSNAND SD/title/0004000e/000edf00/content/ <—US
- [A:]SYSNAND SD/title/0004000e/000ee000/content/ <—EUR
- Select the .tmd file
- Look at the bottom screen and select TMD file options and Build CIA (standard) or Build CIA (legit)
Once you’re done dumping, insert your SD Card to your computer and you can get them on gm9/out folder. For the update, place it somewhere on your Desktop.
Now that you got the game, use HackingToolKit 3DS to extract the game data. When the tool asked you to compress code.bin, type n.
Once the extraction is complete, go to ExtractedExeFS and get a copy of code.bin by CTRL + C it and then paste it on desktop.
I have been informed by Leo121 and he told me to take down the link to code.bin as it contains copyrighted materials. My apologies. If Shiny Quagsire add support to code.ips, it’s fine to share those. But code.bin, nope.
Follow this guide to get code.bin and patch it:
Another way to patch code.bin is to use LunarIPS. You have to download SaltySD’s code.ips and you need your code.bin and put them beside LunarIPS. The rest is self-explanatory. You also need to get the code.bin from the Smash 1.1.7 update. It’s in ExtractedExeFS.
Once you’re done patching code.bin and dumping the game(.3ds) and the update(.cia), you’ll have to do this:
- Go to %appdata% and open Citra folder
- Follow the guide on placing shared_font.bin and NAND(the two links before)
- On Citra, go to File and click Install CIA
- Locate your .cia and install it. Wait until it’s done
- Move your code.bin to user/sdmc/Nintendo 3DS///title/0004000e//content/.app.exefsdir/
Use this template and put it where it should be.
Well. Installing mods on an emulator is the same as installing mods on your 3DS.
- Download a specific mod that you like on Gamebanana(http://gamebanana.com/games/5683), GBATemp(mainly this one(http://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-3ds-texture-hack-thread.417509/) and this one(http://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-3ds-modding-centre.459132/), or other sites.
- Extract the ZIP file. If the mod contains a model folder or other folders, place them inside smash folder and you’re done.
- Open Smash 3DS and wait for it to load (some modpacks like USM-eM, Neos, and Turbo’d will load too slow. That’s normal)
Now there are some mods that doesn’t properly organized.
ie: A Mario 64 Mod with only c04 and h04 and chr_00_Mario_05.tex
You have to manually place those files to a certain folder. Read the Instruction.txt to locate a certain file.
- Citra Emulator
- Dump shared_font.bin and NAND
- Dump game and game’s update
- Move them to their respective folder
- Install CIA on the emulator
- SaltySD bin should be named code.bin
- user/sdmc/Nintendo 3DS///title/0004000e//content/.app.exefsdir/
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can read those there.