Harmoknight Screen Cut Off

Issue:
Trying to play Harmoknight on Citra yields an issue making it very difficult to play- whenever a scene takes place in a 3D environment (meaning, not including the 2D comic book-style cutscenes) there is a large grey/black bar covering the far right 1/4 of the screen. I see that there have been topics on this issue in the past and it seems most recently the issue was fixed in Nightly 1126, but it’s presented itself again in recent, more stable versions.
I’ve included my system specs for my PC, however the issue is present on my Steam Deck as well. I’ve tried messing with settings to fix it but nothing I tried yielded any results. Any help would be appreciated.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080FE
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1788
  • Game: HarmoKnight
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

And as you can see, the issue is not present when the game is only running a 2D scene like the world map:

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (585.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1788   HEAD-030ecaa
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           512.15
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

Renderer_TextureFilterName: Anime4K Ultrafast

Can you try without any filters?
Make sure you restart the game after turning it off as well.

Yes, and the issue still persists. Turning on the filter was actually one of my attempts at fixing the issue- it was off to begin with. I must have forgotten to turn it back off again. Here’s an updated log with the filter disabled:
citra_log.txt (442.8 KB)

Client Version                               Nightly 1788   HEAD-030ecaa
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           512.15
System Region                                1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

I had some free time tonight so I did some more digging into where the issue reappeared after supposedly being fixed in Nightly 1126. I went through the github archive and downloaded 1126 and can confirm the game ran without a problem on that build, other than slightly worse performance (as expected). Then the game ran fine for a couple years until Nightly 1481, released 4/17/20. This was the earliest build after 1126 that the grey bar had appeared in, and it appears in (presumably) every build between then and now. I apologize as I’m not really experienced with coding, but are we able to pinpoint what changed from 1125 to 1126, and then got changed back from 1480 to 1481?

citra_log.txt (5.7 KB)

No game was booted in your log. If you are experiencing a crash then do not open citra again until after you posted the log as it gets purged when you reopen citra.
For more information, see How to Upload the Log File

citra_log.txt.old.txt (18.6 KB)

Client Version                               Canary 2278   HEAD-c0e9544
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           517.40
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [ ]

So Nightly 1780 is fine but not 1781?

Not 1780; build 1480. All builds between 1126 and 1480 function properly, every build from 1481 onward have the grey bar.

1481 seems to be the first Nightly build where Save States got added.

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/commits/nightly-1480
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/commits/nightly-1481
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/4908

1126 added:
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/4462
But perhaps there was a change how it gets built that fixed it. Will need to ask the others if they can check.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the only thread I could find regarding the issue from before Nightly 1126 initially fixed it: HarmoKnight Demo - Partial/cut-off rendering on top screen · Issue #2672 · citra-emu/citra · GitHub
The thread concludes with a comment from FearlessTobi on the date 1126 released stating “Fixed in Nightly due to one of wwyleles memory PRs.”
I’m not sure if FearlessTobi or wwylele are still involved in the project, but if they are maybe they can shed some light on how that build affected how the game runs?

1 Like