How to chose a CPU (Single Thread Rating?)

Hi :slight_smile:
Let me know if I’m making a mistake here…

AFAIU modern CPUs have more cores than Yuzu can actually use (since the switch has a limited number of cores and Yuzu emulates that). This means multi-core scores in CPU benchmarks will be irrelevant if we only consider the performance of Yuzu.
So I should rather chose a CPU based on its Single Thread Rating (score) on Passmark, for instance, right?

Tx
-a-

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by yuzu. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: Getting Log Files - yuzu

Basically yes, but with some extra steps.
Make sure to look for at least 6 real cores CPUs if the budget allows, so stuff like the 10400, 11400, 12400, 3600, 5600, etc are the price/performance sweet spot for yuzu.
The PCIe version and RAM clock speed also matter for performance, so you may want a 5600 to get the best of both options (Intel locked CPUs won’t let you run 3600MHz RAM for example).

1 Like

Thank you so much :smiley:

Could you elaborate on “The PCIe version and RAM clock speed also matter for performance”.

What about Alder Lake? good? bad? (e-cores etc…).

Would a 12600 be any better than a 5600? (on Passmark, it has a similar CPU Mark but a higher Single Tread Rating)

Alder Lake seems to provide the best performance, but yuzu and most emulators face issues with the e-cores. It’s a gamble on how much time it will take to solve those.

1 Like