How to fix "Failed to save the game." in pokemon omega ruby

Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.

trying to save from the pokemon omega ruby cartridge doesnt work at all. it gives a “failed to save game” error. i can however save from the emulation tab but i would like to be able to save in the game

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home edition 64 bit
  • CPU: ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: amd rx550
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): citra nightly 1799
  • Game: pokemon omega ruby
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (313.1 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1799   HEAD-9626bdf
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 2009
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor          | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            Radeon RX550/550 Series
GPU Driver Version                           22.5.1 30.0.15021.11005
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

Launch your game, do not use save states, then save in-game. If this works, then that indicates that you might’ve transferred the save state that you’re trying to use (or have at some point in the past) from another Citra installation. Save states are not transferable between different Citra instances. It breaks tha VFS which disallows the normal file paths from being accessed by Citra. Hence, we can’t save to the normal folders and the game reports that saving failed.

hey there sorry for such a late reply but i didnt expect a response after so long with no comment. saving in game works so ig ive lost all my current progress. thanks for the help anyway

Sorry for the late reply from my end as well. Every time I had set time aside for the forums, something came up. So it got delayed a bit too much :sweat_smile:

its ok thanks for helping me out. got a lot of grinding to do to get back to where i was haha

Sorry for the inconvenience. Just a thing to remember for the future, don’t use save states beyond single gaming sessions. Use your in-game save files to record your progress most of all. Those are the most stable, and also the only ones that are transferable.

yeah ill make sure to use in game saves in the future. the only reason i was using citra save states was because my in game save never worked but it seems to be working now with the forced reset

1 Like