I keep getting disconnected in MH4U

Issue:
Currently I’m trying with a couple of friends to play together on MH4U, the only problem is that, after an indefinite amount of time that can be a minute as much as 20 minutes, I get disconnected from the lobby (may it be while we’re still in the hub or in quest). We noticed that most of the times this happens when either one of us is loading into a new area or immediately after loading the quest. Our internet connection is pretty good, but we have to use an external VLAN software (like hamachi) to see each other’s lobbies. This is the full list of solutions we tried (and failed):

• each one of us tried hosting in turn, but I always got disconnected
  • tried different server rooms
  • Change VLAN software (from hamachi to ZeroTier)
  • turn off cheats
  • change in various ways the graphic options of game
  • turn off custom textures
  • going from old to new 3DS

System Information

• Operating System: Win10
  • CPU: i7-6500U @ 2.50GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 920MX
  • Citra Version: Citra Nightly 1719
  • Game: Monster Hunter 4U ver. 1.1

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (312.1 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1719 HEAD-dfd7926
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce 920MX/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.68
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 2
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

You and your friends should use Canary (it has better stability right now). If needed you might also need to use the 30fps cap code: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-games-wiki/wiki/Monster-Hunter-4-Ultimate (requires game update v1.1 to use).

Hey! I tried using Canary, but while this cut the need of the external software to connect to my friends, it didn’t solve my main problem, so I still get disconnected after a certain amount of time. I tried with the cheats you suggested too, but unfortunately it wasn’t effective either.

I’m gonna post the log Canary produced, in case it’s useful:
citra_log.txt (70.5 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1986 HEAD-f083b3a
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce 920MX/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.68
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 2
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

Are they also using the codes and the Canary build?

4U is more sensitive so it is not guaranteed it will work but Canary should help a bit.

I played with someone from South Korea (I’m from Europe) so our ping was around 240ms and we had a one hour session straight with no issues (maybe we were just lucky).

Yep, same build, same cheats, same geographical region too.
The ping wasn’t really a problem either, in those test runs we always had good connection and really minimal lag, it’s really just these disconnections that strike me down out of the blue

I see.

One more thing you could try is change DNS to optimize the routing. You can use Google’s or like Cloudflare’s. Also if possible, use Ethernet instead of WiFi.

https://lifehacker.com/block-malware-with-cloudflares-new-dns-options-1842646761
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using#change_your_dns_servers_settings

I already had my DNS changed to google’s one previous to all these runs, I’ll try changing it to the cloudflare’s one. If this doesn’t work either, I’ll just drop the matter and just play another game with my friends, so in the meantime thanks for your time and help!

1 Like

Having the exact same problem, @Magistralium, did you find a solution after all?

unfortunately no, the solutions tywald gave me back then were able to limit the amount of disconnections, but I never found a definitive solution

Thank you for the response.