I'm completely at a loss, old Edge runs fine, new install of Canary and Nightly is 7 fps?

Issue:
I have both Canary and Nightly installed. I have no dedicated GPU atm, but I hear that since it’s emulation a strong CPU should be fine. I’ve tried every setting under the sun, CPU jit on, off, hardware shader on, off, canary, nightly, you name it, and I swear I can only get a game to run at about 8fps. I’ve set resolution to window size and shrink the window, I’ve tried locking and unlocking speed…

Then I found an old build of Edge on my computer and what do you know? Majoras Mask runs at 60fps at 720p!

Clearly I’m missing something obvious but I can’t for then life of me work out what. For it to run fine in Edge but not Canary seems really strange. I’ve uploaded the log, but to save a little bit of time I uninstalled Citra, restarted and did a fresh install, and now when I try to launch MM I get an error message.

Here’s the log fhe old install
citra_log.txt (47.0 KB)

Yes I could play in Edge but I’d rather have the full screen and project restoration with better textures.

Thanks in Advance.

System Information

• Operating System: win 10
  • CPU: 7700k
  • GPU: integrated (HD630)
  • Citra Version (found in title bar):
  • Game: All
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): Canary 1763, Nightly 1554 “A fatal error occurred, check the log”

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1763 HEAD-777c13f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.8280
CPU JIT                                       [ ]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• CPU JIT should be enabled for the best performance. Please enable this option.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • LLE Audio is designed for debugging purposes. Using this option will slow down your game. Try changing to HLE audio.

And here’s the log fir the fatal error in the new install.
citra_log (1).txt (12.6 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1763 HEAD-777c13f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.8280
CPU JIT                                       [ ]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• CPU JIT should be enabled for the best performance. Please enable this option.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • LLE Audio is designed for debugging purposes. Using this option will slow down your game. Try changing to HLE audio.
  • The ROM you are attempting to run is corrupted. Look here for instructions on how to properly dump ROMs from your 3DS. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-installed-titles/

Address the things the bot mentioned :slight_smile: LLE for example is very slow, even on i9-10900K so change it back to HLE (fast).

Since you have i7-7700K you most likely have a graphics card right? Double check that you connected your monitor(s) to the ports on your graphics card and not the motherboard.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for replying. I have a 080 but I dont actually have it atm, so for the purposes of this convo I don’t have one. I managed to get MM working at varying frame rates. When I get my card back, should I set it to hardware rendering and hardware shading?

Forgot to mention I’ve switched to HLE and that definitely sped it up. It’s still weird though because in Edge it’s full speed but not the latest Canary. And that’s testing both today, so I can’t see why Edge is running full speed but Canary isn’t

Enable everything in the Advanced tab and turn CPU JIT back on, it should be in the Debug tab. Enable Disk Shader Cache as well, make sure Accurate Multiplication is on or there will be a bug.

Upload a new log afterwards when you have addressed these.

1 Like

Dude you’re a legend, that did it, thank you!

Now running at 1080p full screen, full speed.

I have one minor question, every now and then the fps will dip slightly then go a little bit faster than it should. Is there a way to fix that please? If not dont worry, it’s certainly playable as it is right now.

1 Like

Hm, it’s probably the cache. Though Citra still has some hiccups here and there, I experience some of it too.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for your help, I appreciate it!