Improve performance or limit FPS

So, a friend of mine can’t play Animal Crossing New Leaf properly. In some parts the game is 60fps, but in others it drops to 30,40.This would not be a problem if the speed of the game was not 60-80% when this happens. So, there’s something he can do to solve this? Maybe some build that works better in AMD CPU or a way to limit the fps in 30 without losing speed?

System Information (it’s his specs, not mine)

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU: AMD FX-8300
  • GPU: Radeon RX 570
  • Citra Version : Nightly 1234 and Canary 1270
  • Game: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Try canary-1041 with ‘Enable Hardware Shader’ disabled, however these older builds are unsupported.

1 Like

Alright, I will tell him to try it, but there’s a reason to why this specific build may perform better?

It had this feature.

Wow, that’s really cool. Do you know why newer builds don’t have this?

it was kinda explained at the bottom of that PR link.

So, he tried it today but the game won’t open in this build for some reason :confused:

I would think that the FX-series just doesn’t have the single-threaded performance necessary to get over those dips. I don’t know if performance increase is exactly linear, but I think it would stand to reason that looking for a newer CPU with better single-threaded performance would basically eliminate all the dips. It’s the situation I’m running into with my dual Xeon X5675 rig. All the cores (12/24) in the world won’t help on a program that only uses one. And it’s a weak one core, so on Pokemon X, I regularly see things dip to 50% in battle.

Like even the newer i3’s, or even a Ryzen 5 2400G would likely be an improvement. Overall I’d normally lean towards the Ryzens, but you’re already working with a good GPU, WAY more than is needed to run Citra. So I would maximize single-core performance with maybe an 8th gen i3.

But that’s where the Citra veterans will need to chime in. I think thats about a 50% increase in single core performance, and should make the game more stable. But does AVX/2 support also help increase performance even more, or should we really just look at the raw single-core performance…? And again, is the increase basically linear?

I guess the easiest thing to try is to overclock a bit, but with base clock at 4 ghz, even 4.4 ghz would only give you about a 10% increase. Maybe he could see how high he can go without raising voltage? I believe the FX-series had very liberal voltage applied, so he might be able to keep voltage the same and go up a good amount in clock speed. Might be worth a shot. But unless it’s a decent motherboard, I wouldn’t raise voltage much. Could end up in a fire situation.

I’m afraid he doesn’t want to overclock his cpu, I think we’ll just wait for maybe Citra run on low bugdet pcs on the future, thanks for the help.

Can confirm. I noticed it was a bit slower from the last time I was playing DGS in the last October.
Current build is struggling to get 75%, 1041 immediately got to 100% performance even on 2x size!

theres two speed ups that were hacky that were in the builds back then. dunno what DGS stands for off the top of my head, but more likely its related a different hack that was removed at the same time.

citra_log.txt.old.txt (63.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1696 HEAD-8e3c767
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
GPU Driver Version                            23.20.16.4973
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [ ]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.

citra_log.txt.old.txt (293.1 KB)

Client Version                                Nightly 1696 HEAD-8e3c767
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
GPU Driver Version                            23.20.16.4973
Hardware Renderer                             [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
System Region                                 1

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Client Version                                Canary 1979 HEAD-3a9b369
CPU                                           AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor             | AVX | FMA
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.11
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
System Region                                 2

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.
  • LLE Audio is designed for debugging purposes. Using this option will slow down your game. Try changing to HLE audio.
  • You are using open source system files for Mii data. This will appear as your Mii having broken graphics, but will not affect the stability of the game. In order to resolve this, please refer to our guide on dumping system files. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-system-archives-and-the-shared-fonts-from-a-3ds-console/

Client Version                                Canary 1979 HEAD-3a9b369
CPU                                           AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor             | AVX | FMA
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.11
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
System Region                                 2

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.
  • LLE Audio is designed for debugging purposes. Using this option will slow down your game. Try changing to HLE audio.
  • You are using open source system files for Mii data. This will appear as your Mii having broken graphics, but will not affect the stability of the game. In order to resolve this, please refer to our guide on dumping system files. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-system-archives-and-the-shared-fonts-from-a-3ds-console/

citra_log.txt (34.1 KB)

How I maintain frame rate in DQ8? It keep doing down when I open window menu.

Client Version                               Nightly 1774   HEAD-2d95b99
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 7 3700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx   | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 10 Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           21.30.44.08 30.0.13044.8001
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [ ]
Shader JIT                                   [ ]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.