Installed a .cia update and messed up the game...how to revert?

I was playing fire emblem fates: special edition undub and decided, for some stupid reason, to try and install a update .cia file using the Install Cia option.

The game now is stuck trying to load extra data and wont go past the very first screen, but it seems to be still trying to load.

Is there a way i can revert to a pre-update state? i tried uninstalling citra and installing again, didnt work. I probably will lose the save, but at least if there is a way to start fresh it would be “ok”.

Fire emblem fates: special edition

go to “C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Citra” and backup Citra folder before.

then delete your fire emblem update folder, to locate right click on it on citra game list and select “Open Update Data Location”.

1 Like

Yup, that did the trick.

I thought the files were located in the regular citra folder, thanks a lot.

which is “open update data location” ? is it extra data ?

that option will appear only if you have an updated for that specific game installed.

I’m very slow, were we supposed to make a backup Citra folder? Honestly I’m getting too old, I probably need a tutorial for this. Sorry for being an inconvenience.

To backup the whole citra folder may be a little too much, backup just your save game and extra data, right click on your game on citra’s game list and ‘Open Save Data Location’,
backup the highlighted folder, look at the folder name structure (that folder has a different name for each game/region):

\00040000\xxxxxxxx\data\00000001

Do the same for the extra data, right click on your game on citra’s game list and ‘Open Extra Data Location’

\extdata\00000000\xxxxxxxx

now you can delete your update data, right click on your game on citra’s game list and ‘Open Update Data Location’, delete the highlighted folder:

\0004000e\xxxxxxxx\content

now your game should work. if anything goes wrong and you get a corrupted save you can just paste back your backup save/extra files.

you can also try reinstalling your update, but remember to dump it using the updated guide: