Intense Slowdown in Fantasy Life

One day it’s working fine, little to no lag. The next day, suddenly my game has slowed down significantly, running on an emulator speed somewhere in the 30’s% (out of 100%) I figured since I was on a cruise ship and the internet had been awful and getting progressively worse, plus I was having to use airplane mode, maybe that was the issue (though it had been fine the day prior, was still on boat) I just got home today, booted up the game, and the problem persisting. It’s fine until it reaches the profile selection screen where my character is, and the emulator speed immediately jumps from 100% to the 40%'s. When I then select my character and start playing, it goes even further down to the 20’s%. I tried messing around in the advanced graphics settings, and discovered that turning off accurate multiplication brings the emulator speed back up to the 60’s%, but that’s about as far as it goes. I should note that there have been a few updates to Citra during and after my trip, including today. There appears to be no updates available for my driver, but there was one I did on the cruise when I first experienced the issue. It did not solve the problem. Help?

System Information

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (484.5 KB)

Edit: Changed Citra version in post from Citra Canary 2152 to Citra Canary 2174.

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2174   HEAD-14f9b97
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz | AVX512 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           30.0.101.1994
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2174   HEAD-14f9b97
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz | AVX512 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           30.0.101.1994
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

When a laptop isn’t connected to wall power, laptops actually clock their hardware to be slower so that they consume less watts and therefore last longer on battery. Since the hardware becomes significantly slower when this happens, try seeing if that is perhaps why the performance differed so much.

By wall power, do you mean charging? I noticed that when my laptop is off the charger, it sometimes slows down by 20% on emulator speed, but that’s about as bad as it gets. I usually play while in bed. However, while on the boat, the outlets in my room were not near the bed, so I played while it wasn’t charging. It was one of those moments where it was doing fine off the charger. Then the next day it just changed drastically and fell to the 30’s. I also speculated that maybe the update to Citra had something to do with it- it had taken a while since the internet was bad (we also had to be on airplane mode.) ANYWAYS, I’m charging my laptop while playing right now and nothing has changed. Same issue.

We’ve had no performance affecting updates for quite a while. Does the performance problem only occur after a while of using the laptop? If so, your laptop might be thermal throttling. It happens a lot when people use their laptop on a soft surface, like a blanket or something similar, when the laptop’s heat exhaust is located at the bottom of the laptop. Propping the laptop up so that it can ventilate properly should solve that issue.

If that still doesn’t solve the problem, try going to Emulation>Configuration>System and set the CPU Clock Speed slider to about 50%. See if there’s any notable impact in performance. Keep in mind that underclocking and overclocking the Emulated CPU Speed makes the emulation inherently unstable, so you should set this closer to 100% if you start experiencing freezing.