Is there a way to fix ghosting?

Issue:
Upscaling to anything above native causes ghost images around 3d models. Is there a fix for this/ plans to fix it in the future? If not, what’s the best compromise?

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 9750H
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Canary 1872
  • Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (12.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1872 HEAD-f24ddd7
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            456.55
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Turn down your resolution to about around 2x (you’re unlikely to see a difference beyond 4x anyways) and see if the ghosting effect decreases. A lot of the time, this ghosting effect is also present on the 3DS though it’s harder to notice because of the lower resolution.
Emulation>Configuration>Graphics

Is it possible to program Citra to “ignore” the ghosting effect present in the game (not emulate that particular effect)? Like, I get why the developers didn’t do any of that, but is it possible though?

Maybe, but it’s hard to make an emulator emulate something differently depending on the game. ‘‘Fixing’’ this ghost effect might cause problems in other games. That’s usually why you don’t see that many game-specific improvements. The best way to remove it would be form the game’s side, not citra’s. Maybe through a mod but I don’t know if anyone has gone through the trouble of making one for that.

1 Like

Hey man could you please check out my issue on the forum?